Need Help With My Goldfish

Guest omega364

Guest omega364

Hi i need help with my fish. I just got him two weeks ago. I cant give you any readings on my tank because I dont have a test kit, and I cant take a water sample to a pet store because I am a college student and have no transportation. The tank is a small tank, probably 1-2 gallons. the fish is only a couple inches long. I got him from a pond and brought him here to college. I put an airpump in the tank and poked several holes in the hose to reduce the air flow(orignally it was causing a very strong current. My fish was fine for the first week, but early this week he just started sitting at the bottom of the tank and not moving. I tried a 50% water change but that didnt seem to help. At first I thought he was constipated(had the long trail of poo hanging behind) but I stopped feeding him and that hasnt helped either. I just moved him to a secondary tank and did a complete water change, cleaned gravel everything. I am currently waiting for the water to dechlorinate before moving him back any. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Hi Omega 364,

Sorry your having a problem with your fish. Part of the problem may be the size of the tank. I realize your fish is small but the tank is way to small for a goldfish. They need a minimum of 10 gal. per fancy and 20 gal. per common. They need good filtration as well because they are very dirty fish. If your fish came from a pond it must have had plenty of room, so being moved to a small tank may be the problem.

I agree, having a gf in a small tank like that the only thing to do is 100% water change every day. Of course you will have to temp match the water and add a water conditioner every time as well.

You can get a 10 gal set up relatively cheap at nnnnnn, usually.

Other than that there isn't much you are going to be able to do to keep him healthy......sorry. GF require alot of care.

Guest omega364

first off..thanks for your replies.. You are probably right about the tank being to small..I changed the water and she is doing much better at the moment..She is eating again and her poo has some color in it now..hopefully we can make it 2 more weeks then when I get home he can have a whole 10 gallon tank to hi0mself.

Edit: I just noticed a new problem tho..he has blackness on his fins.. There is not anything attached to him his fints are just discolored..its not really bad..but noticeable.. Is this some kind of infection or is it just a result of stress from the poor water conditon and then tank swapping..any chance it will go away if I just keep him in clean water or do I need to get some kind of medication.

If the blackness wasn't there before it's likely to be ammonia burns. Which means she's had an extremely close call!

The others are quite right. The toxicity of ammonia and nitrites from food and fish waste can very quickly build up to dangerous and harmful levels in such a small volume of water.

Changing at least half or more of the water twice a day (once when you get up and once before you go to bed) should help you get her through the next two weeks. And as Laurie says, make sure you match the water temperature and use a dechlorinator with the new water each time.

All the best! :)

Archived