Popeye, Start Of Dropsy Help

Guest elge8

Guest elge8

32 uk Gallon Tank - 2x 5" commons and 3x 2" commons and 1 weather loach (a bit overstocked I know but has been that way for 2 years with no problems.)

Ammonia Level = 0

Nitrite Level? = 0

How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly 50%

Nitrate Level? = 25 - 50

Ph Level 7.4

Water additives/conditioners? Safe Gaurd Water Conditioner

What do you feed your fish? Flake and veggies

Medications add to the tank? Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria

Any new fish added to the tank? No

Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus Any unusual behavior? Like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..

Eyes bulging.

I noticed that my fishes eyes have started to bulge. They are all happy, and eating properly. Is there anything else I can do for them or will the meds I'm using be ok. Please help as they are all showing signs and I don't wanna lose my babies. :crp

Can you describe the "bulging" more? Does it look like a donut around the eye, or the eye bugging out itself? Is it red or opaque looking?

Thanks for posting the above info that is so helpful to us.

Your water looks good, so hmmm what could be causing it, I am not sure but let's figure out what it is first.

Guest elge8

It doesn't look like the pics on here of popeye, the eyes look the same as usual just that they are sticking out a lot.

Would it be something that has been added by the water company because my sister lives in the next town and says that all of her fish is the same.

One of hers and one of mine didn't make it through the night :cry1

I am sorry to hear that. I wouldn't think it is the tap water, what are the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates of your tank? This is important. Are they still the same as above?

Maracyn 2 works well for popeye, you may could try that. Also raising the temp to around 80 while treating is good, make sure to do it slowly. About 2 degrees an hour.

Remember to remove the carbon in your filter, something I didn't know in the begining, it will remove the meds from the tank before they can help the fish.

Guest elge8

Thanx Laurie, I can't get maracyn in uk. I'm using interpet Anti Internal Bacteria at the moment. Params still as above, will check again in the morning. I've got big probs I think because either I'm going crazy (which is quite possible) or the same thing is happening in my cichlid tank. I don't have carbon in my filter so that is ok.

Sorry this is getting a bit long winded but I am using aqualibrium aquarium salt, I have dosed upto 0.1% so far, but it says on the packet when treating for dropsy, popeye etc you should use 0.9% over 3 doses, this seems way too much to me. What do you suggest?

For Dropsy or any swelling I like epsom salt. It helps to reduce "fluid swelling". You can't use both salts together, so if you want to stick with what you are using then I would only do up to 0.3%. I have only heard anything higher can be dangerous and used only in dips for a few minutes.

Archived