Mrs.koi Is Dead!

Guest calico4

Guest calico4

Ok heres the story. I came home yesterday after school and i went back to look at my pond. When i got back there Mrs.koi was on the outsided of the pond DEAD :thud :. I think she jumped out some how. anyone have any suggestions on how she got out?

-calico

I am sorry to hear that. Without being there I would have no idea. I do know fish can jump out, is the water quality good? I have heard if it isn't they can swim erracitcally and jump out.

Also any cats or other animals around to "grab" her out??? This is always a possiblity.

Guest calico4

THe pond is outside i dont know if there is animals. I was treating the water with water clairifier and pond dioxide. There is another kio in the pond too and he is fine.

-calico

Koi are known for jumping out. Its a good idea to not fill your pond up all the way. Leave a little lip around the top so they cant jump out as easily or better yet, cover it with netting. That way no animals can get in and no fish can jump out.

Fish jump out if the area they are in is too small. How big is your pond? Koi need a lot of space. At least 100 gallons per baby koi is recommended, all the way up to 1,000 gallons or more per adult or growing fish.

Also be very careful when using chemicals like the clarifier in your pond. Read the warning labels. They severely deplete the oxygen in the pond. If your fish sensed it was suffocating that may also be why it jumped out. Its usually better to use as few chemicals as possible and rely on regular partial water changes to keep things clean and clear.

Guest calico4

I dont have a filter or a pump yet,will that affect them?I am going to get a double pond waterfall garden in a little while.

-calico

No filter or pump definetely will effect them, especially with the warming water now. There is less oxygen in the water, and without filter the waste does not get processed efficiently, which means readings of ammonia and nitrites in the tank.

Something must have really irritated her to make her jump. When was the last time you checked up on her?

calico

any pond that is going to have fish in it needs flitration, of course this includes a pump. You mentioned that you are using a water clarifier, is this a chemical? If so STOP using it. Do not use chemicals to clear your water, the only time you should use a chemical is to treat a fish disease, other than that do not use them.

Okay, so you still have a fish left in the pond. Is there any way that you can put a pump filter in right away? This is very important since your oxygen level probably isn't good. Or if your koi isn't very big you could bring him in to a fish tank until you are able to put the pump/filter in. If you are able to put pump/filter in you should seed your filter with good bacteria. This will help kick start it so that it starts cleaning sooner. It'll also help clear your pond. You may also want to raise your salt level to .3%, only raising by .1% per day. Salt helps bring oxygen into the water, plus it can help some on protecting your fish in a nitrite spike. Without proper filtration and pump your nitrites, nitrates, ammonia and oxygen levels are probably bad. If you want to keep the other fish healthy you need to get these things under control.

Remember, a fish pond is a fish pond and a water garden is a water garden. While they can both co-exist one has to decide what is more important when emergency arises. Fish get sick, you may have to do something about the plants in order to save the fish.

Good luck, let us know how things go.

Scott

Guest calico4

Wow you know alot about ponds. I wish my parents would undersand how much fish mean to me <_< . I will try sometime to get some money to get a pump/filter. they are expensive. I cant wait till i get the other 2 pond and the other stuff.

-calico

I know a little and am still learning. What I've learned has come at the expense of fish deaths which sux. I love my fish as well and it is rough when I lose one. In fact the people around me get upset when something happens because I make life miserable for everyone LOL. It's a fun hobby and unfortunately gets expensive. The best advice I can give you is to worry about getting the pump and filter for the pond you have now before moving on to another one.

Scott

Guest golden_goldy93

i'm so sorry to here that your fishie died. I'm sure you miss Mrs.Koi but she is in a better place now. jeremy, maybe you should get a pump and filter pretty soon.

Guest calico4

Yeah i know. My dad said we might get the pond soon :) . I cant wait so i can get him in a beter pond and more fish! :D

-calico

Archived