My Black Moor

i have had my black moor phill for over two months now and when i brought him he had a white dot on his lip about a week ago i noticed this dot has turned into a line around his lips is this a bad thing :huh:

Well I think we are going to need more info in order to help you with this.

There is a box at the top of the page, please answer all of the questions and we will get back with you.

THanks.

Yes, if you could provide as much info as you can, it really makes it a lot easier to help you diagnose whatever it is that you are seeing.

If you do not have test kits, I highly suggest that you get them ASAP. This will be your only assurance that the water your fish is in is safe for him in the long term. Trust me. ;)

If you cannot afford them just yet, you can take a sample of your water to a local fish shop to be tested for free (usually). The water sample must be fresh (not sitting for more than 30 minutes). Draw the water and get it to the shop ASAP. While you are at it, bring a sample of your tapwater to be tested as well. This is because sometimes there are contaminates in the water that are harmful. So, if your not treating the water with the correct stuff, problems can arise.

Off the top, I can tell you that moors often have a whitish sheen to them here and there. It is sometimes on their fins, body, head, mouth and even their tails. Sometimes, this is a slight thickening of the slime coat in response to high nitrAtes, ammonia, nitrItes pH fluctuations, waterchanges and a few other environmental factors. But, as a rule of thumb, if its not fuzzy, a lump or angry looking, its nothing to worry about unless it progresses.

So, get your water tested and keep an eye on him. The worst thing you could do right now is medicate him with a med that isn't necessarily needed.

I hope this helps some. Post back soon............. :)

I also have noticed that mine sometimes look like they are wearing white lipstick! As Paul said, it's normal. Just make sure there is nothing white and fuzzy inside their mouth - you would be able to see it when they are eating.

Archived