Gel Food!

Guest Dawn Hunley

Guest Dawn Hunley

I've never made gel food before. I have been reading a lot about it here and was wanting to give it a try. I need an easy reciepe but I am on a very low budget right now. So does anyone have a small, cheap and easy reciepe for me to try out?

Thanks!! :heart

I made my first batch only a few days ago. I kept it small in case I messed up. I only made about a large mug full but it seems a lot.

I used baby rice cereal prepared with water. Some canned pureed baby apples. Some mushed cooked/shelled peas and carrots, some crushed garlic and canned sardines. The sardines are easy to mush, not like Tuna or Salmon. I dissolved 1 sachet of gel powder in a cup of hot water, let it cool then stirred it into the mixture.

The fish love it. The rice and peas are great fibre.

For some reason I couldn't edit that post. I wanted to add to make sure the rice cereal is soft and not too thick, like you would serve a babies first meal. Rice is great for sbd and floatiness but too much can swell in their bellies if it is not properly cooked or hasn't absorbed enough water.

My fish have had 3 serves of the gelfood and they love it. I alternate 3 feeds regular commercial food, 1 feed gelfood. I don't want to radically change their diet and shock their systems.

Guest Dawn Hunley

Ok so I need:

1 Can - rice baby food jar

1 can - pureed baby apples food jar

cooked de-shelled peas and carrots

1 can sardines

1 clove of garlic

gel powder

What kind of gel do I get. What is it called on the box? Gelatine, clear, sugar-free? Not to sound dumb, but I just don't want to pick up the wrong thing.

Did I get eveything right? It would really help me out if you could list specific intsructions with specific dierections and ingrediance so that I can get it right. I want my golfish to love it and I would like to keep it on hand so that I can always have a variety of food on hand for her. Thanks for the reciepe!!!

Hi,

Use plain gelatin. It doesn't have sugar in it. Just look for the small boxes or packets in the baking section of the store (usually near the boxes of Jello).

The rice cereal for babies is in a box also and you mix it with water (if it is "instant" & already cooked) or you will need to cook it first.

Guest Dawn Hunley

OOH! Thanks....I would have messed up on that one. It wasn't explained what I need to get exactly yet! Do you have any specific gel food instructions for me?

Guest Dawn Hunley

can I get creative with my own recipe? like if I only wanted to do peas, sardines, maybe some Goldfish pellets and some zuccine with the gellatine?

If I do....so I need to soak the pellets first and also, do I just blend all of this together with the gellatine?

My fish love zucchinis, yum, yum!

I would suggest grinding up the pellets or just shove everything in the blender (except the gellatine). Depending on how dry the mixture is, is how much water you use to dissolve the gellatine. I only used one cup of hot water for one sachet.

Let the gellatine solution cool down to room temperature then stir into your mixture. Some people keep their gellfood in the fridge for a week but I only kept it one day in the fridge and put the rest in the freezer. I break some off whenever I need it, it doesn't take long to defrost.

Archived