Pet Store Offered Me A Job!

Guest Dawn Hunley

Guest Dawn Hunley

Just thought that I would share this with everyone! I have been going to this local pet store latley to purchase meds and things to help out my goldies and a few of thier employees as well as the manager of the store talked to me about knowing things about goldfishes and seeing that I had such an interest in taking care of them. They offered me a part time job on the weekends to come and help out with taking care of the goldfishes. I would get to feed them and take care of thier tanks as well as assisting customers with sales! :D I thought this was so great! not only would I get to spend time with these wonderful Goldfish (so many that I wouldn't ever be able to afford) but I would get to teach thier future owners the important information they would need to know to take care of them! I just thought that I would share with you guys My great news. I'm not quite sure that I will get to take the job yet, but me and my husband are still discussing it. He knows how much I love Goldfish of all kinds (well any fish of any kind, really) and he knows that I would love to take this part time job! so I will keep you guys updated to see if I get the job or not!!! :hi5

Dawn how wonderful. I think it is great to have someone who is a member here can spread the education of the world about gf.

Good for you. Remember to give us a recommendation when talking with the customers!!

That is so awesome!!! I am glad to hear you are considering it. I think they are smart to offer you a job. We need more good people in the lfs. You could even tell people about the site at the same time. You'd be saving fish left and right!!

I wish you the best of luck!! Let us know how it goes.... you could be a future store owner. :D

Guest Dawn Hunley

The name of the store is Let's Pets! Cute huh???? I will definatley give this site out as a place to go for assistance! I will tell them that this is the place that I learned all of my skillz! :exactly

Thanks for the support you guyz! :grouphug

That sounds like a wonderful opportunity, Dawn!! Not to mention all the employee discounts on fish and supplies! YES!! :rofl

Congratulations!! I have been working in the fish department of a local mom and pop pet store for over two years now and I love it. I work with a lot of great people?animal lovers and fellow hobbyists. We all enjoy talking fish and planning out new tanks.

A word of warning?you WILL end up bringing home LOTS of fish you probably didnt intend to. I have rescued numerous fish over the years Ive been there. I started with a 30 gallon, a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon and at one point after getting the job had 6 tanks running, from 5 to 100 gallons. My 100 gallon was a present to myself the first summer I worked there. But I have ended up bringing home tons more fish (and animals overall) that I didnt intend to. Too many rescue situations that I couldnt pass up. Im not telling you this to talk you out of it. Just be prepared (and your husband too!).

It is a great feeling when you can educate a customer who never knew goldfish didnt live in bowls. There will be some ignorant, frustrating customers as well but for the most part, they are so thrilled that someone knows what theyre talking about, and you'll probably make some customers for life! :D

Good luck. Its a dream job. Overworked, underpaid, but still a dream job.

How cool is that? :D

I too have been offered a job at several of the local fish shops here. It all started because I was informing any potential goldfish buyers of the dangers of goldies and bowls. As it turned out, I was able to talk several customers into buying 20 and 30 gallon tanks where they were going to get a bowl instead. Of course, the $ $ appeared in their eyes when they saw that!

Unfortunately, I cannot possible make enough money to support myself (and my many tanks here at home). So,it is out of the question for me.

I think your going to like it very much! Just think, you have all the backing in the world right here at Kokos too!

Good luck and let us know how it goes................. :lol:

Paul

And think of the discounts :lol:

I think that's grand and you'll be able arm those getting started with better information and advice - and enjoy yourself along the way :D

Guest Dawn Hunley

Thanks for the info!!! I really don't care about the money! It's something that I know that I enjoy doing in my spare time. It makes me smile when I get to talk about what I have learned as well as what I already know. As far as the ignorant customers that think that Goldfish can just live in a bowl, If they can't handle the responsibilty of taking proper care of the goldfish, then they need to keep it in the store and let someone else take care of it.!

Thanks again!

Or as Paul does - talk them into a nice sized tank :D

As you say - people can be a little ignorant - but i think that comes from being uninformed. Now with proper guidance and good information, i'm sure they'll see the light (and filter, tank, pump etc....) :D

Congrats! just a word of warning from a fellow fish sales person:

People will automaticly assume you know nothing. and if you try and educate some people, they will "know" your wrong and get VERY upset!

one lady almost hit me! lucky for me my manager on duty is a tough chick, the customer left..... o.o all over me telling her that a rainbow shark would eat her guppies.......

Archived