My Fish Cant Swim Right

ray_289

i woke up this morning and my 3yr old goldie is laying on his side....i tap the glass an he tries to swim but he cant keep straight,,,,can someone please help me...hes in a 10 gallon tank with 3 white clouds

i dont know the ammonia,nitrite or ph level... i have a tester but it never seemed to wrok

the tanks been running for almost 2 yyears with the same gold fish...i recently added 3 white clouds to the tank about 3 weeks ago

the tank is 10gal

i use nova aqua when i change the water and i change about a gallon of water at a time

i feed hikari flakes

one his fins is slightly torn but not too much...and theres a little black on the end of his tail....

could this be swim bladder disease? should i take the white clouds out

please help me to save my fish

thanks kathy for the quick reply

i did the water tests and the ammonia and nitrite came out to about .25 i could've did this rong i just wanted to giv it a shot

whenever my fish tries to swim he keeps flipping over an over

ray, I really think that you need to get some ammonia, nitrIte and pH test kits. You can buy them in a multi-test pack so that you don't have to get them individually. Drops are better than test strips as well.

You fish is very sick. Poor water quality can be a major factor but we are just guessing here without any supportive evidence. :(

Can you run a check of her gills for me. Do they look fresh meat red or pale pink/grey/brown? Are they in a nice fan shape, not slimey/tattered?

What is the temperature of the tank and do you have adequate aeration?

Has she poop lately? What does it looks like? Normal color and texture or white, long and stringy?

everything on the fish look normal except her fin is torna lil bit and her tale has ablack spot and a tear...shes floating on her side now but if i try to move her she'll move ...i cant get to a store rite now...is there anything i can do...take the white clouds out do a water change?

What is the colour of her gills? Slimey or tattered?

Do you have any aeration? Airstones?

Do a 30% water change and add salt (aquarium, rock, sea, kosher, canning or pure salt) to 0.1%, that is 1tsp per gal.

Yes, 10tsp for 10gal. :) Warm the water to 78*F if you can.

No, no food for now. I don't think he is going to eat anyway.

There are other things that you can do but a lot of that rest on your water quality readings so until we see some firm numbers, it is best to keep it simple.

i wont be able to goto a pet store till late this afternoon...he hasnt changed much since this morning...i take it theres nothing else i can do to help him

...wut exactly does the salt do?..i think i might've added an extra teaspoon....since theres nothing else i can do should i just leave him there for now...or should i stay with him to see for any changes....

Salt at 0.1% is fairly harmless. It helps to de-stress the fish and let it breath a little easier. Sort of like a general tonic type of effect.

Not much more you can do for now. If you are going to a petstore, see if they have any medicated food like medigold or metromeds. Maybe a board spectrum antibiotics like maracyn-2 might be handy too.

You can observe him but I doubt that he is just going to bounce back so soon. Check on him from time to time rather than just sit there and watch him for a hour. :)

You might want to do another 30% water change this afternoon. Make sure you dechlor the water before adding to the tank.

thanks alot...ill be leaving my house in about an hour an half...but i wont be back till later...my mom will be home so she'll be able to check on him....hes kinda floating on the bottom but hes still breathing...he tries to move around every now and then...ill post his status before i goto skool

he has died...i had him for 3 1/2 years...i dont know why he was sick in the first place....i dont think there was much i could've did...the salt and the water change didnt do much...my 2 white clouds are in the 10 gallon tank now by themself....i've kept gold fish for about 6yrs and this was my last one..as much as i like goldfish i wanna try a differnt type of fish now...thanks to everyone who has helped me out over the years...

i dont know wut type of fish to get now iill post this in the general forum

-ray

Archived