Whats Wrong ?

Guest punkstar

Guest punkstar

Hi to all goldfish lovers out there, i had a problem here. One of my goldfish(red cap oranda) seem to be sinking to the bottom, doesn't want to swim. It's being quite a few days since the this problem occur. Not sure whats wrong. Can someone help me? Treatment? By the way, I have 11 goldfish in total, the rest seem veri healthy to me~! Thankz

Guest punkstar

I do not have the necessary testing kit to test the level of those. Mine is a 20 gal tank, it has been running since sep last year. I change the water weekly about 30 %. I added (Ulcer & Internal Bacteria Away) recommended by the owner of the shop nearby my home. Currently I have 11 goldfish in my tank, added 2 new fish last week. I feed them live worm, dried pearl shrimps, pellets. No other symptoms found, it just stay at the bottom, hardly can see its faeces. Doesn?t have the urge to eat. I will try to get the testing kit ASAP

Thankz

Punkstar you are way OVER stocked. GF need 10 gal each and you have 11 in there. I am certain they are suffering from poor water quality. The tests will tell us, but with that many fish in one tank, yeah my bet is on water quality.

I would do an immediate 50% water change and get the tests asap.

Guest VxShady

Do you have any commons in there or are they all fancy? If they're all fancy you need a minimum 110 gallon tank for them all to be in there. If you have commons, they need 20 gallons of water each. You may want to get rid of a few if you can't get a bigger tank. No more then 2 for a 20 gallon.

Guest punkstar

Thankz for the suggestion. Right now, i still can afford to buy a test kit, but can't afford to buy a 110 gallons tank. I will get the water quality check and come back to you guys in a few days.

Another question, the reason for 1 goldfish per 10 gallon is because of the water quality ? or there is other reason ?

Thankz

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly the water quality yes, as well as the possibility of stunting a goldfish in its growth when kept in not enough water. With less fish in a tank, you will notice less work with the mainenance, since the water quality is on the up and up.... :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blueeyes203

yes the tank size and water chemestry is can cause some stress, but i notice no one actually answered your problem. I hope your fish are ok.

sitting at the bottom and not wanting to eat is a sign of sbd (swim bladder disorder) which does happen when the fish is constipated or sick. Feed them peeled smashed peas for several days and it should clear that up...if it doesn't, then there is something else wrong.

good luck!

or.... water quality issues as the others have advised or.... the new fish you've introduced have brought along some kind of nasty.

I'm hazzarding a guess that the 2 new fish you introduced recently weren't quarantined?

Those that struggle to swim to the top may be suffering SBD (or stuggle to swim to the bottom).

However, resting on the bottom (yet move when disturbed) can also mean there may be a fluke burden or some kind of bacterial malady and the resting and loss of appetite can be due to their weakened state. Just as a suggestion, when you complete your 50% waterchange, why not add 0.1% salt as a rejuvinator? That's 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon. Hopefully together with the waterchange, your fish may show some improvement.

Also when you get your test kits, hopefully something more will come to light :)

Archived