Disgusted At Walmart

I know its all been heard here before about nnnnnn this and that, but I was sooo saddened by what i saw today that i had to share.

Same old story, sick looking fish... no treatment, employee's giving customers false info on fish care.... I first walked up and looked in the tropical tank... some of the fish looked ok, most had frayed fins, ammonia burns, blood streaks, ick, you name it, one of them had it. They had some HUGE apple snails, but every single one of them was hanging out of their shells dead. One of them was alive, but its shell was sooo badly cracked and torn. :( Then i got to the goldie tanks. They had a huge 12 inche koi in with over a dozen fancies in a small 10 gallon tank. Alot of the goldies in the other tanks were sick or dead. They had some beautiful all white and white and black lionheads (which ive been wanting) but they looked sooo badly beaten and sick. And they still wanted $15 for them. I could go somewhere that takes care of them and still get it cheaper, but thats NOT the point. I was sad....... and then the lady who worked there saw my son looking at the fish, and goes oh arent the fish soo pretty, and I kinda laughed, and she looked at me funny. My fiance was pointing out the lionheads to me and I said "their so sick, they probably wouldnt make it, plus look at the dead ones up there! they have no idea what their doing" the lady gave me a dirty look, and then I walked away. She was sooo ticked. Another lady was standing there waiting to get fish, and she acctually walked off, and decided she didnt want the fish if they were so sick. She told me, she thought that that was normal because all of the fish there looked like that! Its sooo dissapointing.....

Sorry, I know you;ve all heard it before...... but it makes me mad everytime I go there!

:crp It's always more disheartening than anything when I see that, because I know that many people who buy fish at these places don't realize how sick all of the babies are, and they are only supporting the business by buying their fish there.

I just went to a smaller fish store tonight to find many many sick goldies, and many with constipation problems, which makes me sad b/c it's so easy to fix if you know how to take care of them! Even my sister was saying that most of the fish were covered in ich or anchor worms. We've both come to recognize all kinds of parasites since I started taking care of goldfish only a few weeks ago, though before I had goldies, I wouldn't have known any better. :unsure:

I can't go into places where I know I might find sick babies. :no:

I just dont understand why these places cant train their employees on proper fish care. Really, its not that difficult!

When i also started, it opened my eyes up to this whole new world. What I thought was normal on a fish or thought how the heck could you tell that was wrong with it, is just so easy to see! Its pretty sad though when every LFS you go into, you know more then the employees who work there. Maybe I should get a job at one? Ive always wanted to, but would be hard with a child and full time school. Would be fun though! LOL, everyone tells me I should be the fish vet around here, and everyone could come to me with their fishie problems. LOL yeah right!

Guest Dawn Hunley

I'm glad that my nooppee doesn't cary fish anymore. We had too many complaints that they didn't take care of them. (Which they didn't)

It's a little different in Australia - fish are sold either through aquarium outlets or petstores. I've only been into 1 store (out of about 25) that didn't seem to look after their fish.

The place I frequent the most is great, you usually need galoshes to walk in there as there's hoses and water all over the floor and they're forever doing water changes. The interesting thing is this young guy who usually serves me was showing me a new display tank that had just arrived and i turned to him and asked "do you like fish personally?" and he replied "22 yeah, i love them so much i'm addicted as are the other guys who work here".... a rarity i know but there are a couple of diamonds out there. Don't know what i'd do if i ever came across a nnnnnn - they sound horrible :(

I'm with blb. I know what I'm going to find when I go there so I don't even visit that section of the store. It makes me so sad/mad.

Lately one of my lps' has been the same way, sadly. And I've been avoiding them also. It seems like all the other fish are ok, but when it comes to the goldies they just don't care. :(

It may be partly because in many Walmarts (and other large chain stores) they have employees rotate departments They do in my stores, here. An employee is required to work their "week" in the animal department, as well as a week in garden supplies, etc. They do not work there because they have any special interest, knowledge or ability. They are simply a "warm body" there to do the job as it is presented - and that presentation is often -"dump the new fish in the tank and scoop out fish for the customer". If it gets boring waiting for someone to help, talk up the fish. In a week they are rotated out and a new person scoops fish.

:(

Not all Walmarts are this way, thank goodness! :)

I agree jen i've only really seen 1 that dosent care for their fish, and that was one of those crappy chain stores that are in the supermarkets, everywhere else has employees who actually like and keep the fish themselves, works soo much better. It makes me so sad when i hear of all these stories :ill

Aww it is so hard to look at the unkept tanks. But at least you kept the other woman from buying any of them. I love to go in stores where they are taken care of and look so nice. I agree that the people working that dept in nnnnnn usually aren't there because they are knowledgable or have a passion for it, they are just putting in their time. :(

Archived