Comets Help

qtmonki01

10gal Tank

5 Comets

Water with no chemicals but the start up kit

All fish have popeye, I believe. Their eyes are more out than the fish my mom has. :blink:

How do I treat this? What medication?

Also, I have 1 of the 5 fish that has like a small spot of mold on his fin (the tummy fin on left side). Any ideas of what this may be? :ill

Some are consapated right now, just started peas for 3 days. Not your typical peas either, I uhh had a crazy idea and it worked. Baby food.

Tip: Instead of mashing up the peas small enough for them to eat it, go to the store in the baby section and grab a jar of peas in baby food. Make sure to read the ingredients, some of the baby foods have other foods mixed with it. Stick with the straight peas, as it only has peas and water. :newfish

Also a majority of the comets have air bubblies coming out of their gills. I have no clue what this is or if something is wrong. Does anyone know?

I just looked at the tank again, and 1 comet has like a red vein showing on both sides. Its like a internal vein that is red and you see it in the skin. Internal bleeding? What exacty am I looking at?

Someone Please Help Me. I just burried Brutus (comet) last month. I do not want to lose all of my babies.

I'm a mess, now I just noticed some of the fish have shiny bubbles in their poop? And the poop is clear and long. Some of the fish have normal poop too. How do I figure out what the heck this is? How do I treat it? What should I do?

hi qtmonki - firstly, would you be able to post some water parameters?

PH

Ammonia

Nitrites

Nitrates

Usually this will rule out whether or not it's a problem with your water quality.

Also, please answer as many of the questions above..... ie. tank size, amount of waterchanges, how long you've been running your tank etc.

Also, are you sure it's popeye? Is there a kind of white donut ring around the eyes?

But lets see how your water is first so please post back soon :)

Yes, please provide some answer as Jen requested.

You do realise that you are heavily overstocked and that is contributing to an increase in their stress and a reduction in their ability to fight off illness and disease. :(

I have 2 10 gallon tanks. The one I had them in had No Chemicals, and I don't have a kit to test water, however, I go to the pet store in the town and get it tested lots. According to the pet store, my tap is fine. I use one 10 gallon tank as the backup tank.

The eyes do have a ring around them but is an off white colour.

Also, I just lost Clem to the Angels. Which is why I haven't responded, I am sorry.

I am a bit disturbed by the death of Clem (Comet) due to the fact that his belly, it had a big bruise that would appear within 24 hours of the death. Recently, Brutus (within a month) died with the same discenagration, and now I am extremely worried.

Please someone assist me on AOL Instant Messenger, screen name is qtmonki01

Hi qtmonki.,

Unfortunately, unless you post the information requested above we cannot help you with a diagnosis. We would simply be guessing, which we will not do as it is pointless - the problem could be any one of a hundred different things - and unfair to the fish.

With five comets in such cramped conditions (comets need a minimum of 15-20 gallons each), your water is most certainly NOT going to be OK - the fish store is not giving you the correct information. The fact that your fish are dying off like this suggests something is very wrong indeed in your tank.

If you are going to keep fish then you need to buy the essential test kits - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH - and test the water yourself, at least once a week. This is a basic maintenance job for any aquarium and if you can't or won't do this, then they will keep on dying I'm afraid.

Try and get the kits or ask your store to test a smapleof the tank water for the thigs I mentioned above and get the actual numerical readings from them, rather than just 'OK / not OK'. :)

I do water changes 3/4 Tank every 2 weeks. I have had my tap and fish water tested. Tap is FINE. Usually the Clorine gets high, so I do a plain change with NO chemicals. You try living off of $75 a month after all the bills are paid and then you can see why I can NOT afford a chemical kit. I have been saving up for one, but til then I need to get by. My fish are approx 2-3 years old. I did notice in the back up tank today that there was a fungus of sorts on the water heater's clasper that attaches to the tank. I removed the clasper thing and tossed it. So I continued to look and saw some white stuff on the glass part where the light goes on the lid, so I took that off the tank and rinsed and rubbed it with my hands, not all of it came off.

I also think they aren't getting enough oxygen, cuz when I do my water changes they swim a lot better as I am adding the fresh water because of the increased oxygen when adding the water to the tank. I have the side tube things that give bubbles and it is bubbling. I have been doing my best, all I want to do is HELP my fish and give them an even longer life. Further ado, my fish are important me. They are my friends. I don't think you will understand this, but they ARE my friends. All the Comets accept me for who I am, don't judge me, know I try to help them, even nip at my fingers when I put them in the tank as a kiss of sorts. Despite me being handicapp. All I am asking for is for HELP so I can get my fish what they need to get better.

And yes, I believe all the fish have popeye. I think this because their eyes are further out than normal and look pretty much like the picture on this site in the diseases section. I would like to know how to treat popeye.

I would like to know why air bubbles are coming out the gills.

I would like to know why there is shining bubbles in poop.

I would like to know why some of the poop is clear and long and other poop is normal.

I would like to know how to fix my "overstock" problem as someone said I am overstocked in the tank. I need the ratio to how many fish per 10gallon tank.

I would like to take care of my fish to the best of my ability. I would like my fish to live a full life. Believe it or not, but animals have feelings too.

I would also like assistance via Aol Instant Messenger. Screen name: qtmonki01

Hi qtmonki and believe me i do understand :D My fish are my babies...

Anyhow, the only thing i can suggest you try get is some maracyn 2 which would help popeye and any gram-negative bacteria.

Would you be able to get your hands on some? Otherwise, you could try adding salt to your tank - to 0.3%. The way to do this is by adding 1 teaspoon of salt for every gallon of water. Then in 12 hours, add another 1 teaspoon per gallon and then in another 12 hours, the same again. When you do waterchanges, you will need to add back the salt you take out. The only problem with this is you would need to try increase the aeration in your water.... and from what you say, it sounds like they may be needing a little more.

Just on the tap water with no conditioner, as a suggestion, fill a bucket with the amount you will need to do their changes and leave overnight... then add to your tank the next day otherwise the chlorine in the water would have a very bad effect....

As to the airbubbles and stringy poop - all a sign of bacterial infection which the above would address.

And the only way you could fix a problem with overstocking is by supplying a bigger tank. Easier said than done i know so i'd suggest just doing the best with what you have and lets get them well first.

Just as an aside - when you tell people here that animals have feelings to, believe me, we are all aware of this. If we weren't, then none of us would be here on this board trying to help people in need. So yes, we do know they have feelings also :)

That's about all i can suggest for you but my fingers are crossed :D

Excellent advice from Jen, as usual. :)

qtmonki, let me, first of all, apologise if we sounded like ogres with unrealistic demands. We have no idea that you are under such financial pressures. All too often we hear about people overstocking their tank because of poor advice from their LFS so we tends to be a bit blunt about it.

Now, your problem is well addressed by Jen. However, there are a couple more points that may be expanded upon. If your water supply company use chloramine instead of chlorine to dose your water then letting it sit overnight is not going to do anything. Chloramine do not gas off. It is too stable for that. I know money is tight but a cheap bottle of dechlor/water conditioner/waterager is a worthwhile investment. It is your frontline defense afterall. No need to go for any brand names, just the cheap generic waterager will do. Just make sure it treats chloramine. If it treats heavy metals then it is a real bonus.

If you can get some maracyn-2, that will be great. Try dissolving some in a little tank water and then soak their food in it for awhile. Instant medicated food. Not the real McCoy but better than nothing.

With that many fish in the tank, you will need to help the filter by doing more partial water changes. Small changes more regularly is better than one all-mighty one once a week. Aim for 20-30% every couple of days.

If you have any more questions, just ask. We are all ears. :D

Well, I guess they don't have popeye afterall. The eyes were out, however, after I gave them the baby food peas treatment (call me crazy but I was thinking frozen peas would be choked on and would need to be mashed and then i remembered we had peas in baby food so i looked at the ingredients and since it was only water and peas, i figured what the heck it couldn't hurt them), so after the baby food peas treatment the eyes got better, and went more in to almost normal now. So now I am rotating between the baby food and flakes to keep them somewhat stable.

I do have a back up tank, would it help if I had 3 fish in one tank and 2 in another?

And should I do the salt treatment? And what kind of salt? The salt we use to salt our food to season it? Or the salt we use to soak our feet (ep something)?

I treated them once before maybe 4 months ago for something which I got an antibotic for, and they became very disorientatied during the treatment even though I was doing the correct dose. I had to do many water exhanges to get the chemical out and then they were fine.

Is there a medication I should get them?

Is it ok that I am rotating peas and flakes every day? I only feed them once a day. Cuz goldfish are ground feeders too, so they dig around.

Also I was reading some of your other posts here, after reading one, I noticed that my fish don't have red gills. There are 2 of them that have the reddish gills on one side of them, but not the other. However the gills aren't slimy or tattered looking. That would suggest a chemical inbalance or a bacterial infection? How to treat?

• 3 weeks later...

i find salt is fantastic, for any thing, i often add abit to my tank every week i also had a molly with really bad pop eye that we left for two weeks as i wasnt sure how to treat her, anyhow i added 1 tspoon of salt to her 15 lt bucket and the very nuxt day her eye went down, and i'm still treating her as her eye was still abit cloudy.

when i mean salt i mean rock sea salt. pure salt.

I found the culprit. It was bad water. I suspect while out of town my entrusted family didn't do the water changes as I told them to do. I usually do a exchange 1-2 weeks. 1 week is 1/4 exchange 2nd week is 1/2 exchange. I moved my babies (3 of 7 that are remaining) to my back up tank which has good quality water. I don't know where to begin to level out the chemicals on the main tank. Can any help me and tell me how do go about doing that?

Hi qt - when you say bad water, do you mean a build up of nitrates? Or is there ammonia/nitrites present? What chemicals are presently in your tank? (I know, questions, questions :D )

Usually the simplest way of increasing the quality of the water or reducing any chemical build up is by doing a a few regular water changes then if you can, try and get the water tested... this would help indicate how many changes you may need to do.

Hope this helps.

PS - so glad they're doing better :D

Hi qt,

The quickest way to freshen up a tank with poor water is to do two 50% water changes on two consecutive days. This is fairly drastic so you only do it once to give yourself a fresh start. DO NOT clean the filter at the same time. As Jen suggested, get some test kits or get your water tested.

Archived