Help!

Guest BrianM

Guest BrianM

Hi,

I have a 50gal. goldfish tank with 4 small fantails right now. I'm doing massive water changes once every few days and trying to save up for a decent filter. I have a question though. First of all, is a canister filter such as a fluval recommended for a goldfish tank or is a power filter such as a marineland Biowheel or Aquaclear better? I'm in college right now and money is hard to come by. It seems to me that all the media that needs to be changed for a canister filter such as a fluval is really expensive compared to just changing a cartridge out of a power filter once a month and obtaining the same results. I'm just worried about being able to maintain the tank under a tight budget. Thanks for any help!

Guest jhansolo

I think when I first came into this hobby, budget is something I never would have imagined how much I had spend. It is better to set a budget and start off from there.

Are you prepared to DIY some items?

Cheers

Guest BrianM

Hey thanks for the response. Well, I think i'm prepared to DIY some items such as a DIY Python gravel cleaner, but as far as the filter is concerned, I wasnt even aware that DIY existed. What ever I do, I just want to do this right and make a healthy tank. I already have the tank and some gravel though. What else could I DIY?

Brian the biowheel filters are good, some can be more $$ than others. If you are in the states or CAnada there is a company called Big Als and has alot of good prices.

I have a Emperor biowheel and normally in the stores it is $70 and I got it thru Big Als for $35.......not bad.

Archived