Hard Water = High Ph

Guest elge8

Guest elge8

Am I right in thinking that the harder water is the higher ph is. It's just that my better half has always wanted an Angelfish tank but our ph is too high for them. Is there anything I can do to permanently lower the ph without messing with everything else. I've just seen some sort of water softener on eBay that you just wrap around the main water pipe, I was'nt sure if this will help or not.

Is there an easy way to lower ph, I haven't got the fish yet but I have a tank that is already cycled so if need be I can work on it with no fish in, as to avoid ph shock. But if I just sort the tank water will it stay at a certain level and what to do about water changes.

Sorry for all the quetions but I've fell in love with the angels now. :heart

Once one starts trying to alter a tanks pH it can turn into a real big nightmare resulting in the deaths of many fish. See what the pH is of the LFS, if it's the same as yours, and if they are able to keep Angels. Unless you are going to keep wild caught Altums then I think that given a stable pH the fish would do alright, just probably wouldn't breed.

If you are set on altering your tanks water then you'd want to look into getting a RO system and study up on the use of peat moss as well.

Sorry for the long delay in replying and hope things work out well.

Archived