Lionheads

Guest Osaka

Guest Osaka

Im going to be getting a lionhead soon. Im just wondering what the minimal tank requirments are for a 2inch lionhead from vvvv. Also, tips are very appreciated by anyone who owns a Lionhead. :)

Goldfish need 10 gallons per fish. This is a minimum and more is always better! Goldfish can get to 8 inches or more and to grow to their full potentional they need a lot of space. Also goldfish are pooping machines! They are very messy fish! They need the space so their water quality will good.

also :welcome

Guest PenelopeFish

Some types of Lionheads have been bred without wens. If I were you, I would be sure the sales people can tell you whether or not the Lionheads you are looking at have wens or not. It is very difficult to tell if baby Lionheads will have wens when they get larger. Worrying about the actual size of the Lionhead shouldn't be a problem. Lionheads (as well as any other goldfish) are very easy to fatten up. You'll have a little golf ball in no time! I hope you enjoy your Lionhead. They are such animated goldfish, and they are so cute without their dorsal fins! They are my favorite!

PenelopeFish

Guest LloydtheLionhead
:D I've got a Lionhead and an Oranda who are both juvenile fish. The Lionhead has very little wen and is kinda small. He's a bit neurotic. Always cleaning up the bottom of the tank. Looking for food. He'll nibble on my fingers if I stick em in the tank. He's not afraid of me at all. Lloys is his name and I like em. He's more of a chinese Lionhead than a ranchu. They're really bent at the tail. Stubbier then the chinese Lionhead. Good luck. I love mine. He's really funny. Sometimes he's feeling mellow and the Oranda will come about and start nudging him in the belly it's really funny. I got some negativity from the local pet store about goldfish,i.e. they're dirty and the tank will stink. But they really have alot of personality. I wouldn't have anyother kind of fish. The only care tip that I can give is that you may need to vary his diet a bit... he gets a bit constipated. Easily curable with tubifex worms. I switch from Flakes to Nuggets and then occasionally tubifex worms. They LOVE those!!!! :blink: They went nuts the first time I put them in there. I thought that the oranda was gonna choke to death he was scarfing the blocks down. Have fun. Jon

I have a pair of lionhead whom Im trying to do my best with.

Genetics is part of wen growth and chubbyness, but protien is also importent! I have been feeding a high protien sinking pellet every night, and three times a week i give them either frozen blood worms or brineshrimp. :) also, i have heard (atleast for orandas) that their "true" wen potential cant be seen untill they are a year old.

Keep the water clean and the food good... and lots of hope!

They have such great personalities, i think you'll love them with or without wen!

Archived