What Do I Do Now For 'margaret'? :)

Guest goldenmom

Guest goldenmom

Hi, everyone,

I am a newbie and have only posted once about 'Margaret', my Oranda, who, a few days ago, wasn't swimming around, just kind of suspended at the top of my pond. Brought her into a hospital tank which I salted at the rate of 1TBSP./5gallons, and dechlorinated. I started adding Pimafix and continued that for about 4 days because she had white spots on her tail, and it was also pretty raggedy looking. She hadn't been eating, but I'm happy to say that yesterday and today, she ate vigorously! She is also swimming around normally with her dorsal fin up, and her left gill, which seemed immobile, is now functioning. I think her tail looks better, but I also think a new 'shred' appeared on her dorsal fin a couple of days ago. However, the white spots are gone as far as I can see. My params are:

PH - 7.4

Ammonia - .5 (after a 25% water change this morning, it was 1.0)

Nitrite - .0

Nitrate - .0

Temp. 78

10 gallon tank with a Top Fin 5/15 filter

My questions are, is this ammonia level okay for now, and should I start the Pimafix again for what might be the remnants of Fin Rot? And are the 25% water changes okay? When I do the change, my water temp. drops to about 72, so can I add my fish back to this, or do I have to wait until it gets back up to 78, which, without a heater right now, takes awhile. Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Lynn :)

Guest goldenmom

I just put Margaret back in the tank, and she's swimming vigorously as if she's trying to get out. I haven't seen her this active before and I don't know if this is normal. She swims around a little and then heads to the top. I did this same exact water change yesterday and she didn't swim this actively. I gave my params in the post above with the only difference being the water temp which was around 72. But I did check the water container I had put her in during the water change, and it had dropped to around the same temp. Have I done something wrong, or is this normal behavior? Help, I'm worried!!

Lynn whenever you are doing a water change you have to make sure the temps match. It is hard and stressful to have a fish go from one temp to another. This can cause sickness in itself.

I don't know if I would use the medicine yet. I would keep her in good water quality for a while, the flashing you are describing could be from a parasite or poor water.

The salt is good. It will help ease the stress. Salt is also a "natural" medicine. Keep the ammonia under or at 0.25 and the nitrites as well until the tank is cycled.

Guest goldenmom

Hi, Laurie,

Thanks for your reply. She is swimming peacefully again and acting normal. The fast swimming didn't last that long, but I will take your advice and get a heater to bring the water up to temp. Would you also recommend that Stress Coat that I've heard mentioned here? The ammonia was at 1.0 this morning before the change and .50 after. Should I do more that 25%/day until it is cycling? Once again, I really appreciate the help you are giving me.

Lynn it is my pleasure to help you.

By now I assume you have read up on the cycling of a tank. But I will do a quick review in case you have questions.

First the ammonia will rise, then the nitrites and lastly the nitrates. Ammonia when cycling should be kept to 0.5 or less, the nitrites around 0.25-0.5 also, this is to be a safe range for the fish, yet give the cycle room to work. Often it takes forever for a tank to cycle, mine was 13 weeks. TEst every day for everything, doing water changes according to what needs to be removed to keep them at the desired levels.

Also test the tap water once a week to make sure the water source doesn't have a problem.

I am glad she is doing better. Stress coat is not a favorite of mine, I use Prime. It is the best out there for a water conditioner.

Stress coat has a "aloe" to it, which in time can build up on the fish and maybe cause the slime coat to get to thick.

Archived