Its In-humane!

Black Moorio

I hate it.....why do they have to do that to the poor animals.....make them cheaper than the same members of their species.....why are they even called feeder fish?!

Just because they are simple fish doesnt mean that they need to be put into cramped, dirty, cloudy and contaminated tanks and cell them for less than a dollar a piece! Those fish dont really even have a choice. A small number will be bought by dedicated hobbiests by us, maybe a little bit that get bought to small children and be put in bowls. They might survive, like my sisters who lived for three years in a bowl. A little amount will probably die in the tank. I once saw a guy buying them for bait. But then, the others get eaten.

I dont have anything against them being bought to eat, the chiclids have to eat too. But why does it have to be them?! Why can't it be the moors, the orandas, the bubble eye. They are all goldfish too, c'mon! Why cant tetras be eaten, malis, sword tails, heck, bettas could be feeder fish too!

Now when I open my own fish shop, I will have the commons, but they are going to be $4.99 if they are small (such as the rest of them) and $9.99 when they are big. Maybe I wont get big sales but I dont care. They are the same fish and deserve the same treatment.

WHO AGREES WITH ME! :krazy:

Personally, I don't think it's so bad that some fish are eaten and some arn't...it's the way things work in nature, though probably it should be more equal-handed when humans muck with it. I have guppy population explosions and have a dwarf blue gourami to deal with it, so in a sense a lot of baby guppies are becomming feeders...but a lot survive too, and they are always in good tank conditions. Unfortunately though it's not just the commons that get put through the rotten conditions of a feeder tank. The petstores locally carry several types of coldwater fish that are "food fish". One of them is $0.13 per fish. If I knew how big those fish got (have no space for a school of possibley 8"+ fish, that would be inhumane conditions all over again) then I would have gotten some as goldie companions when I was looking at other species.

Regarding the feeder common issue, I think that if I ever can muster a tank large enough or come accross a good-sized pond (those guys do get to be a foot long...ugh), I will be getting one of them. After you see how people can create such beautiful fish out of the little tiddlers, it's hard to see them as "just feeders" ever again.

Guest PenelopeFish

I just released three 7 inch long common goldfish into my school's koi pond. While I was doing that, some people came by to check out the fish. None of them could believe how large the fish were. They had never seen a goldfish so big! I was surprised, naturally because I have raised these fish and watched them grow into HUGE individuals. But I also realized that most people don't know anything about goldfish. That's sad and all, but its just a lack of knowledge, and you can't be mad at anyone for that. I think it is sad that people don't understand the potential of goldfish, but I think the attitude is changing with the abundance of information on the internet. People can easily access info on the web, and learn more about their pet. I think commons have a brighter future due to sites like Koko's.

PenelopeFish :heart

Goldfish are under rated. When people see all my tanks and ask what fish I keep, they look at me like I'm a dimwit when I reply "goldfish".

It's like goldfish don't deserve to live in big tanks, it's too good for them!

Injustice and unfair practices are all around us and they don't just concern fish. One person can't save the world but they can make a difference and set an example. It is distressing to consider the fate of feeder fish at the lfs but very rewarding to save a couple. So far I have homed 5 feeder fish, one died after 9mths but it was never strong in the first place.

If everyone saved a feeder fish or 2 that would make a difference, just like PenelopeFish.

I get the dimwit look when I say that I have goldfish, too. Then I get asked "When are you going to get a saltwater tank?!"

Okay, a) Let's get the freshwater thing down first, and b ) There are few, if any, saltwater fish whose personalities (if any) can even compare to that of goldies!!!!! :exactly

phooey!

Guest 2 commons

I saved six. The model train club that I belong to built a huge Pond. The guys that built it wanted fish in there. They went out and bought about 14 three inch commons and released them. Come August when it started getting cold I knew these little guys wouldn't survive the winter because the pond is only four feet deep in one area and this is Alaska. I urged the guys to catch them and keep them indoors till spring. Their answer was "They're just fish. If they die over the winter we'll just buy more in the spring."

Yeah, I wouldn't go for that. I netted six of them, the others hid in the rocks. Another member took four and I took the other two. Four died, but my two are doing just fine. They have grown over four inches in the last seven months.

That is how I found Koko's I wanted more info on how to take care of them after the four died.

I agree commons are just as good if not better then the fancys. My two have such personalities. Needless to say they are not going back int he big pond and if the guys want more fish they are going to have to learn to take care of them.

Guest elge8

I have to say, all my goldies are common, and I wouldn't have it any other way. My biggest is about 9 inches long and has just mothered 150 fry. :D

Guest Phreno

I love the commons and comets, I think they're nicer than the fancy goldfish. The aquarium I go to has about 5 tanks packed with 3/4in comets, it's gross how many are dead. I wish they would sell those to little kids with fish bowls instead of faintails and bubble eyes and black moores. Besides, my 2 comets have their own personalities, and I don't think I could like any other kind of goldfish the way I like them.

Just for the record, goldfish are a terrible food for ANY fish. Our store sells them mainly for cichlid or saltwater fish food. Goldfish are basically junk food to these fish. They are not nutritious and lead to health problems like fatty liver. (Basically its like you eating nothing but french fries all day!) Also live foods spoil the fish and thats all they'll ever want. And when was the last time you found a goldfish swimming in the Amazon or around a coral reef? These fish would never eat goldfish in nature!

That being said I am still a sucker for the feeder tank. I have at least 50-100 in our 1000 gallon pond at my parents' house. Out of my 13 goldfish I keep here, 7 were rescued from the feeder tank, as well as 2 koi. All are fat and happy and healthy and growing now. :)

(BTW Im not allowed to look at the feeder tank anymore because Im out of space. Sometimes my friend and I still rescue some and put them in our display pond at work!)

Happily here in england i have been to many fish shops and have never even seen a tank set up with fish in it for the purpose of feeding to other fish,

as for commons being better then fancys you are obviously forgetting about ranchus the most beautiful personality filled creatures on earth :)

feeder goldfish, in my eyes are the equivalent of raising any type of livestock for human consumption. They are undervalued as beautiful life. This is something I feel very strongly on, and consequently am vegetarian.

Like someone else said, when Humans muck around wiht nature, everything gets messed up.....

Im gonna stop now before I just totally flip...that wouldnt be good.. :/

just my :twocents

Guest little_maime

I'll start by saying that I'm a vegetarian. I don't eat meat or wear leather but I do eat eggs and dairy products. I consider fish, invertebrates, poultry, gelatin, and other byproducts MEAT and to me eating a fish is just as abhorrent as eating a dog. But that's me.

My BF eats meat. I have a friend who considers herself vegetarian but eats fish because she doesn't "like" them as much. Another friend of mine thinks I am wrong for eating cheese and eggs, period. Here's the paralell: We all believe in the humane treatment of these animals. Eating the eggs of a chicken kept in inhumane conditions, like a goldie kept in a cesspool, demonstrates a complete disregard for the comfort and quality of that animal's life. People will always eat meat. It's how we treat the cows, the pigs, and the fish that matters. I personally refuse to benefit from the slaughter of any animal but it's their suffering that truly rips my heart out.

So why common fish and not moors, orandas, etc.? Why is it OK to eat catfish and trout but not dolphin? Pigs but not dogs? Mutts but not purebreds? Common/ Feeder fish get the shaft because they are inexpensive which makes them an ideal snack for other fish, turtles, etc. Who's gonna drop $10 on a sweet, wittle oranda when they can get 100 "boring" feeder fish for the same price? It sucks but it's no different than worrying about the poor dolphins while eating a tuna fish sandwich-- yet one is no more deserving than the other.

I'm sorry if I'm rambling and I know I can come across as preachy and self-righteous. The way people treat fish really gets to me. I treat my fish as well as I treat my cats and my dog. They all have better health and dental care than I do and to be honest my cats are more low maintenance than any one of my aquariums.

I cringe when I see parents buying their kids fish as "starter pets". Those fish deserve to be more than a lesson in responsibility. It kills me how well meaning people who would never abuse a dog or cat think nothing of plopping a GF or betta in a bowl full of ammonia and nitrites and flushing him/her alive when the novelty wears off. It's funny-- only when a fish is worth eating do folks worry about their living conditions. Pollution, mercury, etc-- nobody wants that at the dinner table.

I guess I'm done ranting now....

edp, trigger, barney, baby gumm, earl boykins, AI, and lenny

in the wild bigger fish eat smaller fish, so i guess it's the same reason why we have feeders, and really they arnt really a fish thats there for people to have in tanks manily as they are not beautiful as other gold fish plain and simple, and it isnt worth shop owns marketing them for pets just feeders, because not many people will pay more then $1 for a feeder of any kind.

Guest 2 commons

in manily as they are not beautiful as other gold fish plain and simple, and it isnt worth shop owns marketing them for pets just feeders, because not many people will pay more then $1 for a feeder of any kind.

Sometimes it isn't what you look like but your personality. It's also how they are marketed. If they are marketed as cheap worthless fish then that is how they will be seen and sold. I would definetly get commons over fancys anyday, and not because they are cheap. :)

Edit: I was going to post my thoughts here (in fact I drafted something!) but it is actually against site rules to discuss animal cruelty. It is one of the 'off-limit' topics as it frequently leads to arguments.

Let's keep focused only on fish in this thread, not animal treatment in general. :)

awwwwwwwww i knew i would upset some people, i personally dont have a problem with them, and mature commons can be very beautiful, as we have see so many on this site, but i spose they are just easier to buy, and get. where as the fancys , are just abit harder to come by, and are just that little bit more unique. just like pedigree dogs, ect and thats why they have that price on there heads, but yes everyone has there prefrences for what ever reason. i just happen to come across a fat ranchu one day and just had to have him, i bought him before i bought anything else, and he has changed my life.

but in saying that as well, my family are big on fishing and we eat a lot of fish, so i still eat fish as well, but i just see those as food and not pets of any kind. but i do ask my family please kill them and gut them before you bring them home, cos i just think i could watch that now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest little_maime

i've been away for awhile and while this thread has long since petered out i feel compelled to say that it's a GF's quality of life that matters most. What i take issue with has nothing to do with the food chain, rather how we value some lives more than other based on superficial criteria. An ugly fish is still a fish, yes?

As far as animal cruelty goes I think we can all agree that all fish deserve to be treated humanely while they are alive. That's why we're here (on Koko's), right? We monitor our fishies' wellbeing because we care. And I know that like me some of y'all have been apalled by how people treat their fish and lectured them accordingly. So yeah, I think that it's absolutely appropriate to discuss how we treat our fish and what constitutes cruelty. As for eating them, feeding them to others..... that's up to you and I know better than to impose my beliefs on others.

Archived