Are Goldfish Cannibalistic?

Guest marasmus02

Guest marasmus02

Hi,

I can't say that I am totally new to goldfish, since I've had a fantail (Sherman) for almost a year and he seems to have survived the ordeal of living with my husband and I. I will admit though that I am still absolutely clueless about them... Do they kill and eat each other? Someone told me that it sometimes happens, and I'm appalled! :o

The other day, I bought a small blackmoor goldfish and a small fantail to keep him company... Today, however, I discovered that the blackmoor had TOTALLY disappeared. I do not have a cover to my tank because in my naivete I bought the tank and filter separately, and am saving up for a proper hood for the tank... I figured, if he managed to jump out of the tank, his little corpse should be somewhere nearby... but I can't find it anywhere. Since we can't seem to find a sane explanation for the disappearance, my husband suggested that the big fish must have killed and eaten the smaller one. Does that happen?

Any insight to the disappearance of the little fish would really help...

Carrie

The only way the other fish would have eaten your black moor would be if the black moor was really tiny, and it could fit in the other goldies mouth. Have you checked everywhere around the tank? Behind it and all? it is porrible he jumped or, or maybe hes hiding somewhere in the tank? Is there anywhere he could hide in the tank, or possibly hide and then pass away, and you just havent found him there yet?

Guest 2 commons

I just recently got two fantails and a pearlscale. They were all about the same size. My fantails started picking on my pearlscale. Grabing his fins and shaking him. After he passed away they were still nipping and pulling on him.

It is possible that it was eaten. I agree with the other posts above he either had to be small enough to fit in the mouth or is stuck in an ornament or Jumped out. Otherwise you would find some reminence of him.

Sorry for your loss.

I haven't heard of goldies eating each other alive, unless it's a REALLY tiny one and a really really big one? however, I have seen goldfish lunching on dead tankmates :blink: mostly at mmm, nnnnnn & the like..and the fish are pretty much all gone by the time the goldies get through with them.

(When I see this at stores, I do mention it to the workers, since if nothing else, the picture of goldies cannibalizing their sick tankmates is terrible for a store's image.. but the last time I was in a mmm, and I heard a mother bring it up with a worker when her daughter saw a dead fish getting eaten in the tank, I overheard the worker say "well, that's the way of life, some fish are stronger than others, etc etc etc, lots of them die in these tanks, it just happens" ?!?! ugh. Because they have NO control over water quality and their goldies' wellbeing?! PLEASE. grrr!!!! anyways. sorry about the rant...)

I am very sorry to hear about your black moor. :( I lost my black moor this past Monday - and it sounds like lately, he has a lot of new buddies in the big fish playland in the sky. Don't worry, I know that my Bubbles will take care of your fishy. He was a very outgoing and attentive fish - I hope your baby liked to play tag! :krazy:

:hug:heart

Guest Dawn Hunley

Have you check in the filter? Or is the black moor too small to get sucked up in the filter? Just a thought about where it maybe!

Hope you find it! If not, sorry for your loss. My Gomez is playing tag with Eatbubbles "bubbles". He can join in anytime!!!!! :heart

Yes, all fish are cannibals. If one dies in the tank the others will eat it till very little if anything is left. If your new fish was small enough to be swallowed down by the other fish then that is likely what happened. Otherwise it may be hiding somewhere, or it possibly died and then was nibbled apart (sorry) by the other one.

Guest PenelopeFish

Yes, all fish are canabalistic. When a goldie of mine died, my other goldies tried to eat his eyes out. It wasn't a pretty picture. And in terms of vanishing fish, I have a lot of experience with that. I have a tank of fat head minnows, and they like to jump. I have lost 3 fat heads this way. They jump out and are never seen again. I have no idea how this happens. They vaporize! I know they aren't being eaten by their friends, because fat heads are VERY slow eaters. I would see them if they were devouring their dead buddy. It's actually a nice way to lose fish, if that's what has to happen. They just vanish and I NEVER see them again. There isn't even any gross fish smell. It's an unsolved mystery. Kinda like wondering where the mate to your sock went.

(Disclaimer: Fat Head Minnows breed like crazy and losing a couple of fish in my tank is a blessing. If my goldies started vanishing, I would cry for days. And I would tear apart my room looking for them. I am sorry you lost your new buddy. :cry1 )

PenelopeFish

Guest marasmus02

Othello is ALIVE!

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all the advice... I did as you suggested and examined all the ornaments in the tank, and sure enough, he was trapped in the opening of a conch shell I received from a friend who brought it from his travels to Turkey... I was so relieved! After pulling him out of the shell, it took a while for him to find his bearings... and I thought he was injured... But it seems as though he has survived his ordeal, and he's swimming happily around the tank... I took out the shells though... I don't want to go through that again!

I felt bad too for suspecting that my innocent little Sherman would be capable of goldfish homicide :lol: Guess that thing about 'innocent until proven guilty' should extend to the little fishies too...

Thanks again!

Carrie

Archived