Apartment Is Spraying For Bugs

eather.hey

My apartment manager is having someone come in to spray for bugs (nothing too gross, we don't have roaches or anything, it's just a precaution I guess).

But I was wondering if I need to take any action with my tanks? They aren't doing the bomb/cloud thing, just spraying around the perimeter. Should I cover the tanks? Or will they be okay?

Thanks!

I think that I would definately cover the tanks - seal them down. If it is going to be a very short termed thing - you will be there until just before they spray, and then right after, I would even turn off the air pump and maybe the filter for the duration, for some of the poison will be in aeresol form.

If you are not going to be there - at work while it is done and not home until hours later, I think I would still cover them (and maybe turn off the air pumps), but not seal them down - and leave the filters going. I think I would also throw a towel or blanket over the top of the tanks, too, in addition to the plastic covers, for the terry or blanket fabric "breathes" but has a tremendous amount of thick absorbant fibers that will help "filter" the air that goes into the tank.

As an extra precaution, you might even want to do a water change when you get home.

(I am sure it is over kill, but I have a real problem with spraying poisons around for insects and such - and I have personallyl seen the care the people used to take in our apartment years ago - it was scary! They would spray in a cabinet right over and in a box of cereal and such!)

Thanks, I guess my instincts were correct. I managed to dodge the sprayers last year. I figured that I never saw bugs and the apartments on both sides of me were sprayed, so I would be covered. But this year I've seen ants and spiders, so I'd like them to spray my place. I'm not even sure what areas they spray in or if they'll even go upstairs. If they don't spray upstairs I can always move my betta tank and fry tank up there. I'm woried about the 75 gallon though, those fish have suffered enough without the help of chemicals.

Anyone else been in this situation?

I wont let anyone spray my apartment because I dont trust anyone. I got a great insect killer that is waterproof. I sprayed it outside my apartment and in all the cracks and it has kept the ants out for months and months. I bought it at OSH (not sure if theyre nationwide or not but any hardware store should have it). Its called Advanced Home by Bayer. I swear by it. :D Anyway if its possible I'd try that way first rather than have someone else come do it.

Archived