Quick Help

Kev

ok guys, ive gone the whole hola and just baught a ?25 rock with various plants growing on it, now....... im very eager to get it in my tank, but it has come out of one from the tropicals in the fish store, so i asked the guy upstraight is there any way for me to disinfect it because as u know i have had probs with diseased goldfish here, and he said very true mate we have alot of problems in our coldwater tanks, but are tropical tanks are very different, to be honest,, there was hardly an ill fish in sight, so i might beleive him....he seems pretty genuine.

ok so to dissinfect or not ? if so, the how ?

plz help real fast,

Kev

Kev--I found this on the internet and it is basically a confirmation of various plant advice I've gotten over the years. I am not an experienced aquatic plant-keeper though.

"Plants can also carry fungus, bacteria, snails, algae, and diseases. It is advisable to disinfect the new arrivals. Potassium permanganate (10 minute bath) will rid the plants of bacteria.

Snails and their eggs can be removed with a 2 day bath in alum using 1-2 tablespoons and one Gallon of water.

Commercially available plants are kept without fish, which will eliminate the risk of introducing diseases. If in doubt a 3 week holding period will eliminate most threatening diseases such as velvet or ICH due to the lack of a host.

Plants showing algae growth can be dipped in a 1:20 bleach solution for not more than 2-3 minutes. Rinse and wash of the plants after the dip in water treated with a conditioner to de-chlorinate the plants before placing them in the tank."

Archived