Bristlenose Pleco & Ick Meds

Reboot

:( Is there any danger using Ick medicine in a tank with a bristlenose pleco?

It looks like I might have to treat my goldfish for ick (newest member is developing white patches on a couple of his fins four days after his arrival).

It seems that I read something somewhere that said ick medicine is hard on plecos, but I can't remember for sure what it was. Do I need to make the dose less than recommended?

I know you are to raise the water temp while treating. How high can the water temp be for my fancy goldfish and my pleco?

Thanks...

White patches? Are you sure it is ick? They look more like grains of salt than white patches.

I am not sure about the pleco and ick meds. I don't think treating them is a problem with the medicine. There are usually warnings about what fish it will harm on the bottle. For instance, Coppersafe is toxic to snails. I think you can just keep an eye on him, and throw him in a QT tank if he starts stressing. Perhaps someone else on the board knows.

Recommended water temp for Ick treatment is 86 degrees. Try to keep the light off as much as possible because ICK like the light.

Plecos are completely scaleless on their undersides and so are very sensitive to certain medications, especially antiparasitics. Do a half dosage for them. Tetras, sharks, and most bottom feeders are also sensitive to the meds, too.

As for your goldfish though I would really just keep an eye on him for now, and then treat later on if its looking like a problem. A lot of times little thigns will just pop up like that and then go away. I always suggest observing for a day or two rather than jumping to a medication.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived