Black Moor: Eye About To Burst, Tumor?

Guest hamilton9

Guest Sacreligioushippie

Hamilton, I'm so sorry to hear that. I've been following this post and was really hoping Marty would make it. He was a fighter to have made it this long.

Again, my deepest sympathies. :grouphug

~ Jessica

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what an unexpected outcome! I am so sorry, Hamilton, that Marty didn't make it after all your loving care and special treatment he has gotten. I am still amazed how far and beyond you went for him, and you are a true inspiration on how far the love to our fish can go. :hug

Your Marty had the most fullfilled life any goldfish can ask for, and you took the utmost care for him. Not many people would have done what you did!

I wonder if the vet can tell now what exactly was in Marty's eye that has caused him all his troubles.... :unsure:

Please accept my condolences. :heart

I haven't posted on this thread before, but have followed your efforts almost every day.

Through this thread, I regard you as a loving and responsible fish keeper.

Slugger

Oh hamilton, this is not what I was hoping for. I am so, so sad for you. Please come back soon and let us know how you are. I hope you feel better soon. I cried when I read your post so I can only imagine how you feel. Regardless of the outcome, you are a hero in my opinion. Take care. :cry1:hug

Hamilton.I have just seen the sad news. My heart goes out to you. I was really hoping little Marty would make it. You have done so much. I have never seen such dedication. Its so refreshing to see such a caring fish owner.

Again I am deeply sorry.

Guest IluvMyBuddy

i am so heart broken. :< I've been reading up on this thread, andi have to say, you are amazing for all that you did for marty. Marty is a beautiful fish, and i'm sorry to hear what happened. I hope you're doing alright.

Guest hamilton9

I can't believe it's almost a week since Marty left. I'm heartbroken and devastated. I left the light on all week in the tank and just cleaned it out. I'm afraid I made a huge mistake or did everything late. It's horrifying to think of what I have done to him.

In hindsight he was far too stressed to undergo a procedure like this. First being transported three times to a doctor (this last trip I didn't use Bag Buddies for fear of its interaction with the anesthesia). Then there's the surgery, suturing (twice because Dr Bob thought releasing some pressure might help his breathing)... was it painful to awaken from the anesthesia??? Dr Bob (as he is known) was very caring and came out several times to give me a report on Marty's progress. He said he hadn't noticed that Marty's gill coverings did not fully close. I said he was always like that and I never thought anything of it. He said that made it difficult to get him to breathe on his own. Marty would swim a bit when startled after the surgery but then would stop breathing. They worked on him for 45 minutes, pouring water over the gills trying to get him to breathe. They tried at least three chemical stimulants to get his heart going, even going so far as to massage his heart. As valiant as that may sound, it was just too much for him. I cry every time I think of those few moments when he woke up with one eye missing. I took him home so I could bury him. Seeing half his head gone was just unbearable. He was still bleeding -- three hours after we left the vet office.

The only other thing I could remember (I was in total shock and did not believe him that Marty was dead) was him telling me that they don't teach you this until the last year of vet school, that once a patient goes into shock (including humans), only 1% survive. Plus, pet animals have an additional problem in that once stress takes over, there is multiple organ failure. I can't and don't want to imagine how painful that might have been for him. Finally, Dr Bob said, "God did not make Black Moors." Meaning it is very difficult to predict the surgical outcome for specially bred animals. He said he would send the eye in for a biopsy. I will let everyone know when that comes in.

I'm sorry for the horror story. I wish I had a better story to tell. I had hoped for a miracle and perhaps my feelings about future surgeries might be different had this been a success. I understood the risk but I thought it would turn out differently because he seemed like such a fighter. But I was wrong and I'm afraid Marty suffered needlessly because of it. Maybe the surgery might have turned out better if I had taken him in before he started to sit on the bottom. But there's no way of knowing and I know there's no point in rehashing what could have been. I'm just terribly sad he's gone.

The one bright light in all of this is finding this forum. I am eternally grateful to all of you. I am deeply touched by everyone's kindness and support, and will never forget how much you've helped me get through this. :heart

Thank you...

Helen

Helen, I for one won't ever forget Marty or the valiant effort you both made. Not only did you give him the best chance possible but also an enormous amount of love which really did make his life worthwhile. I'm so gutted that it makes it hard to imagine how you must feel but what a special little guy to win the hearts of so many - he certainly won mine :heart

Stop blaming yourself, Helen. Who is to know what might happen otherwise. If you did nothing, Marty would be in a great deal of distress. You played the odds and gave him a chance to lead a more normal life. It was a gamble and so be it. You did your best and no one can doubt that. Always remember Marty as the little fighter. Cherish the fond memories. :)

Edited by captk

Try looking at it from Marty's point of view. I bet he hurt constantly from the pressure. You did everything in your power to relieve that and although you are sad and miss him, his pain is over. I LOVE my fish but I can't imagine what it would take to take her to the vet. People just don't think of vets helping fish. So please don't beat yourself up with guilt. You went the extra mile for Marty. You really are one in a million. You did everything in your power. Questioning those decisions after the fact is just an exercise in futility. Please treat yourself as you did Marty with lots of nurturing and love. And I hope to see you around here again talking about your fish in the future. Any fish who has you for a caretaker is a lucky fish.

:heart:heart:heart

:hug

I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said. But I will tell you that I think you did a very noble thing in trying to get his problem sorted out once and for all. Even if the outcome wasn't what you'd expected, you have succeeded in releasing Marty from the torment that affected him for sooooo long. His struggle is over and I am sure he would thank you for it if he could. :heart