Black Moor: Eye About To Burst, Tumor?

Guest hamilton9

Corker! Wrong calculator :rofl AUD$135 = US$103 :D

I can't credit $1000 either :( Especially when Doc J would do it for (if i'm not wrong) nothing? :(

It's a tough decision though - one I wouldn't like to make and I'm with both captk and Paul - it is a lot of money. I may be way off the mark but it makes me think perhaps Dr Garcia is trying to discourage the operation - I just don't know :( .

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw, Marty. It'd have the eye removed, but that price tag...outrageous. At this point I know you love him, but without a garuntee for survival and the fact that he's still got a huge eye, in my opinion you might want to put him down. As hard as it is, I had no choice with Tam. Her situation was slightly different of course, but in the same, Moors with the special body form are prone to these diseases ect.

I'm on the fence, I can only imagine how you feel. :(

Omg!

I havent been here for a while... i am happy to know that marty is still hanging in there, but also got shocked by the price of the surgery. but if i could afford it, i would definitely go for it.

where is dr. j again? im sorry i forgot where his office is...

h, have you thought about flying over there taking marty in the plane with you? some airlines accept it and it might be cheaper than $1,000, and the procedure would be done by dr. j.

could that be a possibility??

Edited by chrisinha

Guest hamilton9

Wow -- thank you for all your input! I never heard back from Dr H (in Orange County). (Maybe he got insulted when I told him I went to another vet or that I asked him what his surgical procedure entailed?) Will try to call tomorrow to see if he's in on Saturdays. Doc Johnson is in Georgia and I did look at flights but wasn't sure with security, car rental... aargh. Dr Garcia's office (the one where the assistant asked me why there were air bubbles in Marty's container...) -- doctors in general... they're the first ones we think of when we're sick and some even saved my mom a couple years ago with open heart surgery. Still, I have deep-seated doubts about doctors and vets. Likewise, I do have doubts about Dr Garcia. While he sounded confident ("I've worked with koi, I'm sure it's the same procedure..."), he told me three times it would take a week and now he's telling me it's two weeks (after I told him I was leaving for NY and might not be able to pick Marty up until 7/11 -- but I told him I would find someone to pick him up sooner). That accounts for $150. Then there's a line item for 120 minutes of anesthesia ($225) which I told the med tech I'm SURE is wrong. But she insisted that's what Garcia told her and that I would have to call him on his cell phone to work it out. (Quote does include biopsy as well as post-op medication, etc.) They just left me a message to get them a deposit so they can order the anesthesia. Perhaps it could go well and yet you know how little events sometimes just add up to one big gnawing doubt?

Jen could be right in that Garcia might be trying to discourage me. He didn't seem to expect me to schedule a surgery, was a bit surprised I made the appointment and made sure to tell me I had to provide him with all the materials (!!) It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

Marty's still ferociously hunting for food, but then sits at the bottom to eat it. There's a koi lady I have yet to speak to but I can't find her number at the moment. Maybe they can help me ship him. (PondRx did send me humungous plastic bags if anyone else needs any...) I will probably keep calling Orange County as well as look for that koi lady.

Omigod, the Save Marty Fund, you guys are great. However, I'm not sure I can justify this much either no matter how much I love this funny fish of mine (his face looks like Yoda and he chews like my mother -- she just got dentures). Sadly, I'm just not confident I've got the right "professionals" working on this case... but I will call them this week anyway.

It's too bad more of the members don't live in the middle of the country, otherwise I'd bet you'd be able to get Marty a ride, or a series of rides, to Georgia.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, though.

(the one where the assistant asked me why there were air bubbles in Marty's container...) --

Sorry, what's that all about? I can't find it in this thread? I've been following all this, but sitting quietly in the corner!

I do hope something happens for Marty. I'd be willing to do some drivin'! We could have a Koko's pass off! :)

Just wanted to add that I am impressed by all you have done for Marty, and also wish I could help! Best of luck to both of you.

It's really too bad these beautiful fish are so prone to eye trouble - is Marty a Japanese type moor? Gilbert was, and I think he had something like this - at one point I thought he'd lose his left eye altogether. He also had cloudiness and flecks in his eye, and either Rick Hess or the vet (or maybe both of them) suspected eye flukes. Nasty things, and incurable. I do hope Marty will hang in and that the vet will be able to solve this problem. I'd chip in $20, too, in Gilbert's memory, if iit would help.

Guest hamilton9

If Dr H ever calls me back...(pause, to let out steam), and his procedure is "simpler," I would take Marty there early next week so I can watch him before leaving for NY. I don't feel comfortable leaving him there for 2 weeks. I've left countless messages and faxed them twice so he can just scribble his answers. However, the last receptionist did tell me he's had recent surgery himself and playing catchup. I also understand most doctors almost never return calls and that you just have to catch them at the right time...

My comment about Garcia's asst remarking about the bubbles was that she did not understand that the fish container needed an air pump. I wasn't snide to her at all but I was less than pleased that she wouldn't know this. Altho I still see sites that "recommend" small fish bowls for goldfish so maybe that's not so surprising.

While Marty still sits for long periods at the bottom, he does still swim and has been swiming throughout the tank (something he hasn't done for awhile). But those bumps between the eyes are really disturbing. The eye itself has not gotten any bigger. Tail is still shredded. Still eats and has been sifting through the gravel lately. I hope this is a good sign actually despite the head bumps which seem suggest the tumor may be growing outside of the eye area...

I'm continually impressed by everyone's support and caring words. Thank you, all.

Guest hamilton9

Jumped in and made an appt with Dr H tomorrow for surgery. If I freak out and change my mind, I'll post back.

He said altho the chances are still slim, if he survives then they prefer that I take him home and monitor him, as well as apply iodine on the eye for 5 days. Also didn't sound like they would let me stay during surgery.

He said once during koi surgery, they used ultrasound to monitor the heart but unfortunately it's not possible to do that with a fish this size. So that's where the risk is and he said it's a crap shoot (his words?? can't remember). He didn't like the extra bumps on Marty's forehead. I feel like this could be our last chance at attacking the tumor source before he dies a miserable death. I can't bear watching him deteriorate and cannot determine when is the humane time to let him go.

This has been a very difficult decision given the fact that I lost a cat after numerous medical procedures which IMO seemed to worsen his situation. More recently a friend went through the same thing with her german shepard. Vets insisted his cancerous spleen needed to come out asap despite a heart murmur. The spleen turned out okay and the dog died 2 weeks later probably from a heart attack. I know it's not negligence in either case; it's one of those philosophical debates on quality of life. Sorry if I'm rambling... I hope to have good news tomorrow.

Yes, all the best wishes in the world on the procedure! :) You have made the decision and we are all behind you. Don't tie yourself in knots. It is not healthy. Please give us an update ASAP. :) Good luck!

Guest hamilton9

Marty is gone. He was still alert after the eye was removed and sutured, but then went into shock. I'll post back later. Thanks everyone.

Guest Chishower

I have been following the thread for a bit now.

I am so sorry about your fish, he was beautiful and you did everything you possibly could to save him. He was lucky to have such a devoted mommy.

I'm so sorry, H. You have done your utmost. You have our best wishes and our sincere condolences. It is no the outcome that any of us were hoping for but it is closure and may Marty rest in peace. :(:heart

Marty is gone.  He was still alert after the eye was removed and sutured, but then went into shock.  I'll post back later.  Thanks everyone.

346039[/snapback]

oh helen, i cant tell you how sorry i am :crp i kow what he meant to you and after all the trouble you and marty've been through... :( but i think you made the right decision. you did not have much options and the surgery was definitely worth a try. im pretty sure he had a wonderful life with you and he's now resting in peace.

yes, tell us more later... your experience is an example for all of us.

take care of yourself!

chris