Python

JDMac2006

i have read up on the python water changer and vaccume and i was thinking about splurging and going out and getting one when i get my allowance...my question is, after you are done vaccuming when you are ready to fill it back up again, doesn't the water that comes back through and into your tank have chlorene and chloromines in it? i wouldn't think that the python filters this...wouldn't this be bad for your fish? any answers would help...i would really like to get one of these.

Thanx Guys!!

I don't have a Python, but imagine that it would be no different than refilling your tank using buckets of water from the tap. Either way you need to chemically treat your water to neutralize the Chlorine and Chloramines.

Just add the treatment to your tank before you begin filling it back up.

I put my water conditioners and buffers in a separate bottle of water and simultaneously pour it in as im refilling my tank with my Python.

BTW.....you might also want to get the 1 piece brass faucet adaptor to replace the 2 piece plastic faucet adaptor the Python comes with.

so if i understand right, it would be okay if i added conditioner to the tank as i was adding the water or before and it would hurt my fish, one more question, what about water temp? do you just have to change the temp on your faucet to where they are similar (faucet temp and tank temp)? Thanx!

Guest DivineGf

Usually, I find that the temp of the new water is higher than the water in my tanks, already. Just as I begin to re-fill the tank, I place a couple of frozen water bottles into the tank and also add the conditioners necessary to remove the chlorine/chloramine. I then add water back in a rather slow, methodical manner.

You are correct, though, if the temp of the existing tank is higher than your natural tap you simply adjust the hot/cold so that it is the same before re-filling.

I also find the plastic fittings that come with the python to be a little flimsy - I intend to replace those fitting adapters with brass ones in the not-too-distant future, as well.

Yeah, adding the water conditioner before adding the water is good. As for water temp, you will get to be pretty good at telling the temp from the faucet. Just dip your hand in the tank and let it adjust, and then run over to the faucet and see if it feels warmer/colder. Do this a few times until its approx good. Eventually you will just need to do it once, especially if you keep your tank at a constant temp. Alternatively, if you are worried about temp, get a small thermometer ($5) measure the tank, and then make sure the faucet water temp is dead on.

Goodluck!!

so if i understand right, it would be okay if i added conditioner to the tank as i was adding the water or before and it would hurt my fish

Alot would depend on the variables of your water supply. Most people i've talked to on the internet use the refilling/dechlorinating methods that have been mentioned on this tread and it works fine. Some people have a really bad water supply and i may not recommend using the the same methods to them. I think the majority of people have a water supply that would work with either putting it in first or putting it in as you refill.

do you just have to change the temp on your faucet to where they are similar (faucet temp and tank temp)? Thanx!

as Obsidian mentioned its pretty easy to stick a thermometer under the water until the temp is close to what you have in the tank before setting the Python to refill and doing that would be less stressful to the fish. The first couple of times you use it you'll probably fumble with it(i know i did) because you're not use to it but after a few changes you'll get the hang of it.

Guest Bunnylee

I LOVE my Python. I have 40 gallon tank the is 2 rooms over from my faucet and it is an absolute necessity for me. I used to lug 5 gallon buckets around with an baby in the house. Now I just hook it up, vaccum, drain and fill. I also add the water conditioner to the water before I fill it back up. Usually when I have drained off the water and am scraping the algae off the sides of the tank....I would most definitely reccomend that you get the brass adaptor as the plastic one will be stripped almost immediately. The brass one goes right over you faucet and can be adjusted. In addition to stripping the plastic I also had to replace my faucet when I used the plastic one. I stripped my metal thingy that you take off to put the plastic one on. New faucet was fine with me but not hubby.....

:hi

I have a Python and I also bought the brass adapter and the velcro piece that wraps around the hose so you can hang it up. I empty my tank with it while cleaning the gravel. Then I test the water temp with the thermometer from my tank to get the temp exact. While filling the tank I put in drops for the chlorine/chloramine. After it is filled I wind it up, put the velcro strap on it and hang it up. All this was going fine until my well started drying up and now I don't have hardly any water presure. So........... I'm back to buckets and filling with a new garden hose. I'll be glad when we move and have city water and I can go back to my python. I got mine when mmm had them on sale. Paid $19.99 for a 25 footer. Hope this helps. Go for the brass, otherwise it is kind of flimsy!

Archived