What Kind Of Rocks?

Desiree

hello. :heart i am getting a new tank soon and am planning it out. :D i currently have a 30 gallon with river rocks. i like them but they seem to get so much food stuck in them and they developed algae on them over time. i had pebbles and they got them stuck in their mouths, which is why i now have river rocks. my tank has several plants in it too.

1. is sandy substrate an option?

2. can it be used with goldfish?

3. can it be siphoned?

4. would it just get sucked up the hose?

5. is bare the best way to go?

Thanks for your help! :rolleyes:

I'm not really sure but I think on another topic someone asked if they can use sand and the answer was no. It gets stuck in their gills so its not a good choice. I would just go with the bare bottom

That is correct. Sand in NOT good for GF they root around on the bottom and the sand will irritate the gills and mouth. It has been compared to you or I having a mouth of gritty sand. THat would hurt. OUCH!!

oh i see. that would be awful. i thought i had seen pictures of tanks on here with sandy substrate? hmmm. is there anything that resembles sand that people often use for planted tanks?

I'm pretty sure that I have seen photos of goldfish tanks with sand too, but I still wouldn't do it. It makes sense that when they stir it up they are gonna breath it into their gills. It probably wouldn't be very good for them. Good luck with whichever you choose.

Guest VxShady

Hmm.. I did not know that. I have a tiny corner of sand for my dojo loaches cause I heard they like to burrow in it. I've slowly over the past few weeks began taking it out cause mine have never burrowed in it and it gets kinda messy. Also, another big problem with sand is you can't vacuum it, it all gets sucked out. Thats good to know now. My bad.

I had considered sand a long time ago for my goldie tank, and saw many pictures of them, but opted not to because I was too afraid of it hurting the goldies. I really like river rocks. I think they look great in tanks. What I have done is put a large layer of black pebbles in my tank so I can root my plants and what not, and then put a layer of river rocks on top so the goldies can get to the smaller pebbles. I really like it, because if I do start to noticed algea on the river rocks, i can remove them quickly without disturbing anything, and clean them off real fast. Then i can vaccum the smaller pebbles, and get all the poo and stuff up, and then place the river rocks back on top. I dont do this very often, enless i need to. Works great for me! Plus, the river rocks help anchor my plants down so my goldies dont uproot them.....

I'll cast one lonely vote for sand. :hide:I have pool filter sand in with my goldies for almost a year, and they love it! They sift through it all the time with no bad effects. Poo just lays on top, and you can just run the siphon a little above the sand and suck it right up. I have 2 emperor 400's, and no prob there. The only thing you need to do is stir the sand with your hand or a stick every few months, to keep toxic gases from building up. I love it!

Robin

Edited by KYskipjack

I have a bare bottom and one with gravel. I've not had any problem with the goldfish getting gravel stuck in their mouth but I know some have. My bare bottom stays so much cleaner, I really love it. But I like the gravel as well.

If you have sight impaired fish I would suggest the bare bottom because they can get their food so much easier.

Although I have seen a few bare bottoms that I actually found attractive,most I don't like.I think alot has to do with the fact that I enjoy watching my goldies scavenge the bottom looking for food,spitting out rocks here and there. There are two trick to gravel. One is the right size...You want it to be on the smaller size,but not too tiny,that way they won't swallow or choke on it. Another thing that I find is that most people including myself,tend to over do it on the gravel-Big Time-which is bad. All that does is give food an extra chance of getting buried,and Nitrates an easier time to build up. I still vote for gravel at a minimum amount. Most Bare-Bottom look to cold to me. :rolleyes:

Guest labrat99

I know it's out of fashion these days but I like gravel over an undergravel filter... to save money I use pea gravel from Lowe's or Home Depot. It's about $3 for a 40lb vs. roughly $1/lb for aquarium gravel. Just give it a very thorough rinse before putting it in the tank and it works great!

I got the large natural looking rock for my tanks one time when I was updating them.

They are too large but not to large to worry me that they will suck them up and choke on the.

So I went out and got crushed gravel which is small enough for them to pick up and spit out with out getting stuck.

I made it really deep like 3 inches deep and was able to stick the anacrais in it and they arent able to pull them out when they clean the bottom.

I just love the way it looks and I don't have to worry about them chocking anymore.