Barebottom Tanks And Bubble Wands

Athena

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to hide ugly bubble wands in a barebottom tank. I have a 12 inch bubble wand and an airstone in a 40 gallon tank. I wanted to convert it to a bare bottom but I hate how ugly the bubble wand looks without gravel on it. Any suggestions?

I have bubble wands across the back of my tanks. They get covered with pretty green algae and are not very visible, but I also have rocks glued to the base of silk plants to keep them down. These, placed against the bubble wand will conceal it nicely. I also have strategically placed larger stones - these can hide a bubble wand connection, or a bubble stone fairly nicely. In one tank I cut a mat of plastic plants - they are about 1 inch tall and on a grid that you can cut to shape - and used them to cover a flexible bubble bar - it is twisted under the mat so that tiny bubble rise in places all over the mat - it is quite attractive, I think.

Daryl any chance we could see a picture of them? Can't exactly get my brain around what that would look like. And I am thinking of changing the ugle stone in my bare bottom.

I was thinking about these for tank of the month, but it looks like Koko is getting more pics now so.....

This is a 56 corner

post-27-1113227825_thumb.jpg

Thanks Daryl. I see you kind of hide them behind plants and such. Very good trick.

I have seen the bubble wands that you can bend. I think those are neat too.

I have bubble wands across the back of my tanks. They get covered with pretty green algae and are not very visible, but I also have rocks glued to the base of silk plants to keep them down. These, placed against the bubble wand will conceal it nicely. I also have strategically placed larger stones - these can hide a bubble wand connection, or a bubble stone fairly nicely. In one tank I cut a mat of plastic plants - they are about 1 inch tall and on a grid that you can cut to shape - and used them to cover a flexible bubble bar - it is twisted under the mat so that tiny bubble rise in places all over the mat - it is quite attractive, I think.

312264[/snapback]

That sounds really neat looking. Maybe I'll look into getting a flexible bubble bar. The bubble wand that I have is like a huge rectangular air stone. Any other suggestions for that?

I have put that type of bubbler inside a small hollow ornament - but the ornament design is all important. You need on that has only one main opening through it - so when you put the bubbler under it the air travels up the only path and exits out the top. You do not want any hollow "branches" that might collect stagnant water. You also need it to be heavy enough that it stays put, with a large enough hole on the bottom to allow the bubbler to go it.

I have carved openings larger, filled extra hollow branches with wax and sealed them, and adjusted many an ornament for this.

I also have taken multiple stones that I really like - pretty ones - and have glued them together in a cylindar shape using aquarium sealant. This way if you have a specially large or odd shaped bubbler, it fits. The bubbler can be inserted into this from the bottom -if you are tricky, you leave a slot for the air hose in the back. The bubbles then rise from a stone column of your choosing.

Bubblers are fun!

:D

I also have taken multiple stones that I really like - pretty ones - and have glued them together in a cylindar shape using aquarium sealant. This way if you have a specially large or odd shaped bubbler, it fits. The bubbler can be inserted into this from the bottom -if you are tricky, you leave a slot for the air hose in the back. The bubbles then rise from a stone column of your choosing.

Bubblers are fun!

:D

313274[/snapback]

Oh I really like that idea!!! Thanks so much Daryl! :D

Archived