Sign in to follow this  
coyote ugly

Sick Fish!

I noticed that my panda oranda's left eye is swollen around which I believe is popeye :( I've read about the treatment but unfortunately because I am from Japan,I could not acquire maracyn and I haven't found a single store that carries epsom salt.

Is popeye contagious and will the fish die if not treated immediately?What causes it?

55 gallon tank running for 5 months 2 cannister filter with UV sterilizer

no new fish added

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 20

PH 7.9

He sometimes stays at the bottom but is eating fine.I'm going to our LFS tomorrow and ask for any available meds.Any help is greatly appreciated.

Your water sounds good. Could he have bumped it on an ornament or corner of a filter? This type of fish are clumsy.

Hi, I don't know if this will help because I'm not familiar with the products that you have in Japan, but Maracyn is actually erthromycin. Thats the antibiotic that it is. Is there any product available to you that contains erthromycin. If there is then it should work as well as Maracyn. An antibiotic tablet containing tetracycline should work on popeye also. If you are willing to pay for shipping you can get the maracyn from http://www.drsfostersmith.com in two days. I have ordered from them before and they are really great to work with and the meds will be there in two days but it is kind of expensive. I hope this can help you. I don't know that popeye is contagious, but if the eye isn't treated your kiddo will probably loose the eye. Thats not a pleasant thought but I don't think the infection surpasses the eye. Hope some of this can be helpful.

Carrie

Thanks for the reply :)

Sandy,I'm not sure if he bumped his eye or not.I didn't notice it until today and it is only on his left eye :(

Carrie,thank you for the info.I'm gonna check for meds with erythromycin at our LFS tomorrow.

I've raised the temp to 26*C.I hope he doesn't lose his eye.I'm gonna try to take a pic of him so you can confirm if it is popeye.

Hi coyote - it it's only in one eye then as sandy says, there's a possibility that the cause was due to trauma and the good news is it's reversible. If that's the case then salt is the answer.

I'm hoping this is the cause - so it goes without saying my fingers are crossed.

Thanks Jen :)

How much salt should I add to my tank?

I'd salt to 0.3% to avoid any infection that may result from trauma . Then the next day or so may tell whether or not it's actually popeye. It's hard to know what causes popeye - it can be due to mycobacterial or viral infection or TB (and trauma). This is where antibiotics will be necessary although that's a bridge to cross once you know for certain.

Again coyote - my fingers will remain crossed

:o Oh no coyotee, You've had so much going on with your fish lately. I hope this turns out okay for your fish. :goodluck

Thank you all for your support.I can't believe I'm having a lot of bad luck with my fishies these past months.

I took a pic of him today.He wouldn't keep still so I only got one clear shot.I hope you can tell if it's popeye or not.

110-1086_AUT.jpg

I raised the tank temp up to 28*C and added 0.3% salt.I haven't found meds with erythromycin but I bought one that our LFS said could cure popeye :)

Thanks again everyone.Will keep you posted of his progress(or not?)

Can anyone please help identify if my fish has popeye?

If it is trauma - it sometimes takes a good 10 days before you see any improvement but if it is the start of popeye, you've caught it early so prognosis should be good. As you've already done salting at 0.3% and 78 deg temp + perfect water quality makes a very good start. Just keep an eye on his gills and watch for any color change (lighter). As long as they remain meaty red - then you're good.

Coyote - i can't quite tell but is his left eye starting to protrude also? Has the swelling increased in the last couple of days?

The meds you purchased - do they contain oxolinic acid? as this is readily taken up and pretty effective.

Hopefully someone else can add something here although the good news is, have been through it myself (trauma to the eye) with no meds - just salt and perfect conditions with great success.

Thanks Jen for responding :)

My husband said that both eyes look swollen and protruding but I am not sure myself.He won't keep still so I can't look at it clearly :( but I think the swelling is not increasing.

The med is called Parazan D and yes it contains oxolinic acid.

I've also been doing 50% water changes everyday to make sure the water is pristine.I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Thank you very much for all the help.I really appreciate it.I hope he recovers soon :)

Cathy

Hi Cathy - the last piece of advice i gave you came from my best friend who also happens to be one of the best vet's around (and thankfully shares a great love of fish also) - and i wanted to make sure before i advised you so sent her a copy of your pic:D

She's also not sure of the left eye - as the swelling, if any, is minor but did mention if the left eye looks like it's starting to swell at all then start the treatment straight away. When both eyes begin to swell then it's consistent with internal swelling caused by popeye and Parazan D is apparently a good medication.

I hope this helps and my fingers - as always - are crossed for you

You are very lucky to have a friend that has knowledge and love for fish :) Thank you for all the great advice.Without your help,I wouldn't know what to do :hug

Will it be better not to put meds yet until I'm certain both eyes are swelling?

I will continue to monitor him and update you with his progress.

Thanks again :)

More than a pleasure Cathy :) and i really do count myself very lucky (especially as i also have 3 dogs, 4 birds in addition to my 25 goldie children :lol: )

It's only been a couple of days now but if the swelling hasn't increased then this is a good thing so keeping up your 0.3% salt, temp etc (which is also a good starting treatment for popeye) will help. If you notice any difference, or his left eye starts to swell at all, then it's time to get the meds out.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by JenW

It certainly helps a lot :rolleyes: Thank you :)

One last question,what is the worst thing that can happen to my fish? :unsure:

Good luck with your goldies and dogs and birds.Maybe you can post some pics of them.I would love to see them :lol:

Ahhh Cathy - the worst thing that can happen is you turn the lights off in his tank and forget it's a problem but as we both know, that'll NEVER happen. With the optimal care and treatment you're giving, it's easier to predict the best thing that can happen - full recovery :D

Also, please ask as many questions as you like - my trusty backup's only a phonecall away :D

And thanks, my family of pets are precious - would love to post some pics soon.

Cheers

Cu,

I ran over after I got your pm and did all the read ups, but I must say, I already know your in good hands with Jenw

Cu, relax .... :D

Jenw,

My brain has got to be awfully slow, didn't put it all together until I looked in on Nathan's and GW's thread over at KV! :D

Lol - one big happy family.

And from what G has told me, I believe i'm your aunty Jen? :lol:

That Gerard - he does get around :rofl

Ahhh Cathy - the worst thing that can happen is you turn the lights off in his tank and forget it's a problem but as we both know, that'll NEVER happen. With the optimal care and treatment you're giving, it's easier to predict the best thing that can happen - full recovery

Also, please ask as many questions as you like - my trusty backup's only a phonecall away

And thanks, my family of pets are precious - would love to post some pics soon.

Cheers

312689[/snapback]

Thank you so much Jen :)

I was worried he'd die :( I can't handle anymore deaths.

He looks a lot better today and very active indeed.No increase on the swelling :) So I think it's progress!

Thanks again!I can't thank you enough :D

Cu,

I ran over after I got your pm and did all the read ups, but I must say, I already know your in good hands with Jenw 

Cu, relax ....  :D  

312712[/snapback]

Thank you Kathy :)

I will keep you posted on any progress he makes..Thanks a lot :D

:) Glad to hear that he seems to be doing better.Continued success! ;)