Sign in to follow this  
Guest slurpiette

Fish Jumped Out Of Tank

Guest slurpiette

what would make a fish jump out of its tank to die? the water was clean, could it have been another fish?

Quite often a fish will jump from the tank if the water quality is not good. Parasites can also cause a fish to jump. Breeding behavior can excite fish so that they literally swim and jump out of the tank during the chase.

If your fish was not hard and dry, there is a good chance that he could live. He will look terrible, as all the dry scales and fin parts will slough off, but he will grow back again and be a good fish - even if he appears dead it is worth trying to revive him!

Ive also found that if fish feel they are too large for their space, they will try to jump out. I have seen numerous koi jump out of (accidentally) uncovered tanks. But like Daryl said more often than not its water quality.

Your water may look clean but have you tested to make sure there is no ammonia or nitrite?

It is definetly the water quality. I've had a fish do that, i think it was temperature flucuations. But the minnow was dry and didn't breath (with gills) I put it in water and it started to recover, but died soon afterwards. :(

Guest slurpiette

it was too late to try and save him. i recently put a new fish into he tank and they seemed to get along, i dont know what type of fish it was so maybe the two shouldnt have been put together.

also, my mum thinks that the tank might have been too full, could this have caused him to jump out??

or colud the tank have been to small for him and he was just unhappy?

Guest slurpiette

the tank is about 3 litres, i know its small, but the fish wasnt that big either. i had him for about 3 months and was planning to add him to a pond i have in my backyard when he seemed too big for the tank

sorry to hear about your fish. that sucks when that happens. is the other fish ok?

Sorry to hear about your fish! Thats horrible. It probably was way too packed in the tank, and with it being that small with other fish, probably was bad water quality. How long had he been out of the tank? I had an incidence once where I had just bought some new goldies, and set the bag they were in on the counter real fast. Well somehow it fell off, and the bag broke open all over the floor. I thought both fish were still in the bag (and by this time there was no water in it). I rushed it back to the room, and put the fish in the tank, and noticed only one was there. I had to retrace my steps to find where the fish went. By the time i found him, I for sure thought he was dead, but I placed him into some clean water and he recovered. Unfortunantly he did pass awhile later.

Also, ive had a fish jump out, and not know (when I had a tropical tank and I had like 10 tiger barbs) and well one got out and i didnt know. A couple weeks later I went to grab something from under my tank, and grabbed something crispy. It was a perfectly dried out tiger barb...... scared the you know what out of me!

You know, sometimes fish just jump. I don't think there has to be a specific reason, but that they swim and sometimes it happens to be upward. I have alot of fish and sometimes I will be sitting on my bed and a fish will come past and out onto the floor. Usually at feeding time. In my 55, when I go to feed, I have actually had the fish throw another from the tank onto the bed because of the excitement. It just happens sometimes. The best thing you can do is to prevent it. Go get you a cover and when you arent around have that over them. The thing is, fish don't realize that the world outside of their tank is not made of water, so they go in all directions. Think about what dolphins do. It's not always due to a bad thing, its just something that can happen.

Carrie