Sign in to follow this  
awrieger

What Is This Worm Thing In My Tank?!?

Well, up close at least anyway. They are actually tiny white thread-like worms a few millimetres long and thinner than a strand of hair. I only noticed one (and have since seen a few others) because it was squiggling and twisting as it was floating through the water.

Here's a view of it through my amateur/toy microscope (I just held my camera up to the eyepiece and took a picture!):

worm01.jpg

Aaackkk! It's horrible up close!! What one earth is it?!?!

Is it a worm? A fluke? Or is it a larvae of something that'll turn into much worse? A couple of my new fish had a few adult fish lice on them. But they are in a different tank. But I did recently move a potted plant from that tank to this one. Could this be a newly hatched 'baby' louse?

Those are planaria; actually totally harmless but yucky to look at. :)

Planaria love organically-rich environments so their presence usually indicates the tank is not being kept clean enough. Increasing the gravel cleans and water changes and keeping your nitrates under 20 ppm should make them disappear quite quickly. :)

Whew!! Thanks Emma! That's such a relief!

Time for me to change the gravel in my pots in that tank I think! It's a clean bare-bottom and the nitrates are well approx 15ppm, so it must be the potted plants. They're overdue for some new substrate fertiliser anyway.

Thanks again! :)

Woah!

Lemme get this right, you used your digicam and put the camera lens right up to the eyepeice of your scope and took a pic that good!!!!! :blink:

Oh, I gotta try this one!!!!!!! :happydance

awrieger, I'm impressed as well - is that what you really did? Take a digital picture from the microscope eye piece? I never thought that would be possible, especially this clear! :) My microscope had a "projector" view where it reflects the slide picture on say a wall. Even taking a clear picture of the bigger shadow on the wall is hard for me. I have to try now :D

Yep, that's all I did. You can even see the black eyepiece around it. :)

Was that something I wasn't supposed to be able to do? Cool! I only tried it because I didn't know I couldn't do it. If I had known it was impossible to do, I probably wouldn't have even picked the camera up!

I'm quite pleased at having inspired you to try for yourselves.

Aquisition of knowledge through ignorance! :D

Wow! :D

Your right! It does work doesnt it?

I set my camera on macro setting, put the camera on a tripod and had the scope sitting on the edge of a table. I positioned the lens to the eyepiece and VIOLA! Instant digital image of a scrape or slide! :D

whatisthis.jpg

This is not an image of a fluke. I don't know what it is but it moves in an inchworm-like fashion. The 4 barbs you see on the tail end are what it uses to grasp onto things. I have yet to see an egg deposited by one nor have I seen differences in sizes of them. This is not a rotifer either.

Anyway, thank you sooo much for this accidental discovery. Had I known that I could do this earlier, identification of each and every little worm and bug in my tanks would have been much easier to do. Now, to go and seek assistance in identifying the bug above........... :lol:

Cool! :) heheheh, I can't wait to tell my husband about this. He was so sure it's impossible to take photos of a microscope sample - I bet he'll think I'm crazy for suggesting this later :rolleyes: Can't wait to try at home....now to find microbugs to take photos of....

Paul - no more bug drawing for us woo hoo! :) Can someone put this useful info in a sticky for microscope users? Thanks Awrieger! :D

Right you are, Kat! :D

Am I a geek or what?! :blink: I haven't been this excited about something in a while. But hey, its all about the love of our fish, right? :lol:

That is SOOOOO Cool. I cannot wait until my new microscope arrives!!!! :krazy::bounce

You guys are geniuses!!!!!! :D:lol:

Guest moustics

Just reading thro the threads to gather new info and WOW what a find! That's the coolest thing I have seen in a while... My hubby is a professional photographer..Can't wait to show him the pics.... :rockon

mouse

That is to neat. You said it was an amatuer microscope. Do you mean one of the ones you buy for kids? How much do those cost? I have so many fish and when something goes wrong I have to play alot of guess work when it comes to possible parasitic infestations. Do you have a digital. I'm so behind in the world of technology I need to be slapped :wa Where did you get your microscope at?

Carrie

Not an accidental discovery at all, Toothless! I knew exactly what I wanted to do and did it, so it was all on purpose! :lol:

PS. You're not a true geek until you try it with a telescope! ;)

PPS. Which is what I'm going to do with my reflector when the moon is next full (or basically I'm just too lazy to dig it out of the bottom of the cupbaord right now). They told me I needed to buy a multi thousand dollar camera attachment for a Nikon SLR to take pictures of the Moon's craters, so I went phhrrrt! at that idea! I hope to prove them wrong!

Carrie, yep! I just bought the microscope in the toy section of a department store. It's sort of like the whole 'junior science laboratory' kit with all the slides, plastic magnifying glass and tweezers and stuff. I can't remember the price sorry (maybe AU $39.95?), but it wasn't as much as I was expecting.