Unsure What To Do!

Diva

AMMONIA 0

NITRITE 0

NITRATE never high due to regular water changes(weekly sometimes 5 daily) and gravel cleaning.

PH 7.5

PH tap 7

23 litre quarantine tank. running 2 months and fully cycled.

undergravel fiter system

Tap Safe water additive and tetra easy balance.

flakes, pellets, bloodworms, daphnia.

Hi.

I bought a very small fish to add to my man tank eventually. She developed white spot a day after purchase. (so glad she was not added to my main tank). Having had no success with the meds available to the UK, I decided to use salt adding 1 tsp per gallon every 12 hours for 3 days. Covered the tank, turned the heat up to 80. within a few days it was gone. I left the salt in the tank for 2 days then carried out a 20% water change, and have done the small water changes over the course of 8 days. I tested the water, and there were traces of Nitrite, very small traces, just slightly off colour from the normal reading. Within 3 days it returned to 0.

Thinking she was ok and well again, I thought I better leave her in quarantine incase it returns, and it has, but very slight, I am not sure if its actually white spot or not. Her fin tips are whiteish and the tip of her tail looks a bit rotten, very white and a bit missing. Would this be the beginnings of finrot? I have no idea what to treat her with. Do I start treating her for white spot again, or should I treat her with something for finrot? Does salt work on finrot? I really dont want to lose her, she is already very special to me. She is eating normally, and doesnt appear to be showing any signs of sickness. Dorsal fin is upright.

I just remember losing some special fish to finrot.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, since she doesnt look like she is dying......YET!

thanks in advance.

Hi Diva,

The white spots you mentioned before, are they ich, like little grains of salt?

You can try netting her and swabing the tip of the tail and fins with iodine. Just once, never repeat it. Try to remove any rotted tissue. Being firm about it. Keep the iodine away from mouth, gill and eyes. That should halt the rot and give the fin a chance to regrow. If that doesn't work, you will have to use antibiotics.

Thanks captk.

I will go and get some iodine today. Is it just normal iodine that I would pick up from a chemist? When she had white spot, it was definately the grains of salt, and the heat brought it right out all over her body and fins. This has gone, apart from what I describe. white tips to fins and tail. Perhaps the tail end that looks like a bit is missing has a whiter bit to it. cant tell if its a spot or just a bit of rot.

In the UK we are unable to buy medi food. Just the stupid treatments, which I have found dont work. Lost fish through relying on these treatments. And salt saved some of my fish before, when treatments failed to work.

Thanks again captk.

Yes, just plain old iodine. :)

Hmm, you are lucky that ich didn't return as you diluted the salt down fairly quickly after the white spot disappeared. The usual advice is to wait at least 6 days.

Yeah, tell me about it. We can't get half the meds that are available in US neither. :( I suppose it makes us more creative with our treatment regime. :D

I am off to the chemist now to pic up some iodine right now.

With you saying that I removed the salt too quickly, maybe its the dreaded white spot returning. I removed the salt prematurely when I noticed that the salt was possibly killing off the good bacteria in the tank. The nitrite was beginning to rise slightly, and this concened me. And water changes would dilute the salt, and being not great a maths, I would be unsure how much to put back into the tank!!

I just looked at her again, I cant see spots, just white tips to fins and tail. Will try the iodine (ONCE) and let you know what happens.

Thanks so much for getting back to me quickly.

Good luck with the iodine. Hopefully, the ich are gone. Best to keep an eye on it. :)

I'm not sure 0.3% salt would have impacted on the biobugs. The nitrIte might rise because the stressed fish are giving off more ammonia which means more nitrIte and the nitrobacters weren't ready to play catch up. Keep that in mind, next time. ;)

I have been everywhere, chemist LFS and noone has iodine. I will go looking further tomorrow. I remember I used to get it from the chemist to treat grazes etc. The UK just gets worse!!! Will keep an eye on her, and check for no reappearance of white spot. Thanks for that info on the stress causing more ammonia. Didnt even occur to me. Thanks captk. will keep you posted.

If you have no luck with iodine, something like betadine would do as well. It is not as strong but it is better than nothing. :)

Though it is not good to rely upon med, would it be possible to buy meds availble in the us and have them sent to your house in the UK and OZ for when you need them? Probably a ban on certian chemicals contained in the meds, but you could try...then set up a buisness that offers meds to people in your country...might take off...buet a permit first. i don't want to be cited to suggesting underground fish med trades...

Thanks captk. This morning she is looking a lot better. The milkiness around her fins and tail are gone. All that is left is some white looking damage to the tip of tail. Cant see any white spots, just kind of flakey looking around the tip. about 2mm area. Hard to describe. Will keep an eye on her. When would it be safe to add her to my main tank? I am becoming paranoid, and terrified that she may bring something to the main tank.

Hi usagi.

Sounds like a good idea. I am unsure of the reasons why the UK doesnt sell the meds that the US does. I need to know the reasons for this. I have looked at some US sites which wont post to the UK. so it must be down to law. I cant imagine what igredient is in your meds that is illegal here!! Class A drugs perhaps!! LOL The UK sucks when it comes to keeping fish. Makes it a very difficult hobby. My LFS sells the most horendous goldfish. I looked in yesterday. I would say that every tank had problems. Most covered in whitespot. Some under treatment, but some with visable problems and with a couple of dead fish lieing there, were actualy up for sale. its no wonder that I have problems nearly every time I buy a new fish.

She looks fine today. no signs of anything. So I am going to keep her quarantined for another week or two, then set her free into my main tank. Thanks everyone for the advise and support.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the ordering from the US and shipping to the UK and OZ doesn't do too well. A few meds have gotten into the UK that way, but probably only because the customs guys were sloppy. They usually confiscate everything.

As for Australia, that is even worse. Try to ship anything, and I mean ANYTHING, and they take that away. I think they have dogs going over every single package. I have tried to get stuff to Annette, and even with a tricky little decoy in the main package, the meds were gone. Tough laws, I tell ya!

Thanks Ranchugirl.

Living in the UK sucks when it comes to treating fish!!

I am pleased to tell everyone that my new fish is fit and wll now, and is doing fine in my main tank with the others. I am so pleased she made it, shes a wild looking thing with the biggest eyes I have ever seen!! lol

Thanks everyone!!

Archived