Sign in to follow this  
mkinga

Floats/sinks Vertically, Head Down

Hi,

my goldfish has chronic SBD and used to float around at the top for the last few months. Now he floats head down, or sinks head down. I've tried peas, salt dips but it hasn't worked. Is this something else, or could it be just another form of SBD?

thanks

mkinga, this is usually a sign of internal problems :(

http://www.koicrisis.com/symptoms/behavior...+%20Swimm-53266

I've got a late fish with that symptom before, I thought it was SBD at first, but know better now (I think). It's stomach eventually became mushy :(

I hope you get to treat your fish for internal bacterial asap - good luck there

:unsure:

Thanks for the great site, I figured he had something, I am treating him for a different symptom, which I should have mentioned. he has a redish pimple like thing on his side. I dosed him with furan-2 (for 5 days) and started feeding him medi-gold about a week ago. he stopped head standing briefly, but now he is at it again. Not sure if I should dose him again with furan-2 or a different medicine.

Guest moustics

I had this problem too and still do at times with our female Oranda.. Salt inthe water, anti bacterial food, like Medi Gold or metro Med has helped.. also not feeding her any floating foods, where she takes in a lot of air..

With our fish she is just not bred very well and this is one of her handicapps...she also has cheeks that have grown up over her eyes, which make feeding difficult..She is much omproved tho since making some changes in her diet and the tank...

Good Luck

Mouse

Sounds like you are doing all the right things - I just have one more suggestion - you might check your nitrate levels. High nitrate can cause, or esasperate problems such as this.

Sometimes in a sensitive fish, nitrate concentration as low as 20ppm can cause problems, particularly if the fish is already fighting bacterial infections or parasites.

Guest Morten33

One of my fish is doing the same thing. After she eats she floats to the top of the tank, head down/bottom up. Is this SBD or parasites? I tried fasting her and then just feeding peas, but even the peas make her float. The food I feed is ProGold, and I soak it until it is completely mush before i put it in the tank. If I get medication, can I treat her in the same tank as the other two fish? I don't have a hospital tank? I don't know what to do?

Please help

Emily

Thanks for the advice daryl! I tested the water again today, and it read 10 for nitrates (or 5.. its hard to tell with the colors).

I have switched to a combination of medi-gold and metromed, as well as salting the tank to 0.1% and putting in extra aeration.

I have heard from others (on another helpfull message board), that furan-2 and most other medicines you put in the water are pretty ineffective to cure internal problems, so for now I'm not dosing him with any other medicine. I have heard that oxolinic acid (or Oxolium ) is effective, but unfortunetly i can't find any to buy in my area, or even any place that will ship to canada.

If anyone has additional advice, please feel free to give it! Also on a side note, one of my goldfish sits around a lot and sometimes shakes or twitches quickly when swimming around. Any clues what that is?

mkinga, twitching or shaking/spasms is due to flukes - I saw this on my fish when they were heavily infested with them :( I don't know if this is the root cause of your problems, or if you're having multiple issues at this time, but no harm treating for flukes anyway to eliminate them. They're nasty - I'm battling them now :( Good luck there, my fingers are crossed for ur fishies.

Furan medications can bump your biocycle, so keep an eye on it.

Both the MediGold and the Furan meds should handle the bacterial end of things - you need to make sure you get a sufficiant amount of the anitbiotic food into the fish, though! They really do a great job if your fish eats them enough. Constant level of the antibiotic from the medication in the fish is all important.

The shaking, as Kat has stated, sounds like parasitical problems - not necessarily flukes, but they are a definate possibility. Flukes are the cockroaches of the fish world.

I think I would recommend a salt dip (1/2 cup salt to 1 gallon water for up to 5 minutes - no longer - see "salt dip"), which will strip the slime coat and knock off many of the parasites. This will leave the fish open for the furan to help battle any surface bacteria, too.

Then, I would suggest you complete your full round of MediGold - 10 days at least - and the full dose of the furan. You do not want to create any resistant bacteria. Then attack the parasites as needed.

It would be helpful to find out what you are dealing with, though. If you can take a gander at a scraping under a microscope it would help narrow the possibilities down. :)

I think the shaking is due to parasites of some sort (flukes in my case) attacking the gills, so i think it's important to tackle this issue immediately as well. Resources I've read usually stress on tackling the parasite first, then the bacterial stuff. I wonder if we can do this at the same time? I'm just worried because parasites hide very well in the gills, and salt baths might not get them out and weaken the fish during bacterial treatment :unsure: Daryl's advice about taking microscope scrapes will be useful too, it's good to know who the enemy is.

Guest Morten33

I would like to suggest using rice. My fish Sofi has had chronic SBD, and I was worried when I read this post because she was also floating at the top of the tank with her bottom up, and her head tilted down lower in the water. She did this EVERY time I fed her. I fed soaked ProGold, and she even did this when I fed just peas. But I have been doing some looking around on this site and under the Food section I found two great ideas. One was for how to make gel food. This is supposed to help with SBD. (I haven't tried it yet) The other suggestion was feeding rice. I was surprised because I would think rice could expand in the stomach. But they said if you cook it VERY well and then mush it up VERY well, it won't expand any further. They suggested using short grain rice, but I only had the regular kind. They said either would work, but to over cook the regular kind to get it as soft as possible. So this is what I did, I cooked a small amount of rice and mashed it up to a paste (harder than you would think) Then I soaked some of the ProGold pellets and then mashed them in, and I also added a few mashed up peas. I am keeping this mixture in a plastic baggy in the fridge and letting it warm up before feeding. I just get a little of the mix on my finger and drop it in to the bottom of the tank. This is the ONLY food I have tried that doesn?t give my fish the "floats". I figured while you are trying to figure out if there are other medical problems with your fish, you might try this in the meantime.

Good Luck!

Emily