Not Feeling Well?

Guest koi_moon02

Guest koi_moon02

My fish always seems to be in the corner. I don't know if he's sleeping or lazy. Though it never use to do this. It's been going on for a while now. I just spotted white spots on his face/gills and on his fins. Is this related to his behaviour? I'm not sure. He eats well, but then later in the afternoon he goes into his corner. Is my fish not feeling...or am I'm worrying too much?

Guest koi_moon02

I forgot to add this, I don't know how to edit. If I am to put medication, would it hurt fry. Cause I got one, its a couple months old now. I don't want to do anything to harm it!

Hi

WE need you to answer all the questions at the top of the page to help you better.

We need you to describe the "dots" better. It could be ich or breeding tubracules.

A fish that lays around all the time is not a good sign.

Guest koi_moon02

Sorry I didn't answer the questions...i didn't know them at the moment. But now I ran a couple of tests.

Ammonia Level is 0.23

Nitrate Level is 0.47

Ph Level is 7.5

Tank is 20 gallon and it's been running since july of last year

Haven't change the water in a while, since we got some fry in the tank, we change the filter regularly though

We put a bacteria nitrifier

We have 5 fish. Three of them are about 3 inches big. One is a suckermouth which is 4 inches big. And one goldfish is 3 inches. Have one fry which is kept in a net in the tank. It's about 2-3cm

We feed them flakes in the morning. And Crumbles or pellets or shrimp at night. We put one tablet for the suckermouth.

The fish that doesn't seem well, doesn't always stay at the bottom though it goes there at a certain period at the day. The white dots, are small, there aren't much. I think it's ick but I'm not sure. My fish had it on the ends of his fins and on his gills. He eats fine, it just seems that he gets tired easily ;) I'm not sure. Is he well or not, or is it just me.

If he isn't well and if I need to medicate the tank, will that affect the fry?

Sorry couldn't answer all the questions... :unsure:

SInce you are showing ammonia in your tank, as well as a very low concentration of nitrate, I am going to assume that there may also be nitrite in the system. This signals that your tank's biological filter is not up to the job of converting all the fish waste in the tank.

It simply could be that the spots are breeding stars, but I am leaning towards not. Since you, also, feel that they are not, I tend to believe your gut feeling. IT could also be that your light is on a long time and the fish is "done" and goes to sleep, but, once again, I think your gut feeling is probably correct.

You have quite a fish load in this tank - not changing out the water for a time should have given you a large amount of nitrate - unless the bacteria nitrifyer is doing something - I am not familiar with what you are using there. Normal stocking for a 20 gallon tank would be 2 small-medium goldies. Having 5 fish in there is straining a filtration system that is not functioning well as it is.

I think the first step you should do is change your water - a fair amount of it if you can. You do not say what sort of filter you have on the tank - but when you change your water be careful to not disturb any bio-media that may carry your beneficial bacteria.

If you are careful - particularly since your little guy is in a net - you should not have difficulty syphoning out water for a change.

Getting some fresh water in that tank might just perk him up.