Sanitizing Tank

Guest Dawn Hunley

Guest Dawn Hunley

As some of you may know, I have an oranda that I had to put into a quartine tank due to pop eye. the tank that he was in before has my other oranda in it and I have noticed latley that her eyes are starting to show signs of pop eye. I have started treatment for about a week now and done a complete water change as well as sanatized the artificial plants in the tank. She doesn't seem to be showing any signs of improvement. Are there any suggestions on how I can make sure that there is no bad bacteria in the tank and how do I get rid of it. Also, Are there any suggestions on how I can give the medicine tablets? My goldie likes to eat it.

Thanks! :(

Hi Dawn

Firstly, what are you using to treat the pop-eye? Pop-eye can have a number of causes, not just bacterial.

I do not recommend that you tear down the tank and sterilise it completely because it will mean re-cycling it from scratch and poor water quality at this stage is not going to help your fish recover. What I would advise instead is to ensure that your tank is kept as clean as possible: vacuum the gravel thoroughly once a week and either do 50% changes weekly or do 30% changes twice weekly (this is better, in my opinion). You can also salt the tank to 0.3% to help reduce the number of pathogens in the watewr. Salt often very successully helps to treat pop-eye too. Do you already know how tpo salt a tank, or would you like use to run through this with you? :)

Guest Dawn Hunley

Thank you!

I will definatley try the salt as well as your advice on keeping the tank extra clean. I was just scared to clean too deep into the gravel. I didn't want to disturb the good bacteria. Thanks for the advice ;)

Archived