Sign in to follow this  
fishermoe14

New Fantail Chasing Old Fantail

i bought a new fantail from the petstore and after i quarintined it and put it in the tank it started to chase my other fantail. i looked at the chaser and it did not have any stars on it and now my older fantail is getting these red viens in its tail. please help me im very confused and i dont want any of my fishys to die. :cry1

Guest calico4

is it a boy or a girl? It might just be show whos boss. It might be breeding. If you feel around the gills maybe you can feel the bumps. :blink:

-calico

woo hooo i just did it and i felt the spots. so what do i do now?

what do i need to buy and all that good stuff

i have 2 fantails and one is chasing the other and the chaser has the spots. my question is what do i do now?? what should i buy and what plants should i use for the eggs?

Hi there, and :welcome !

If you want, try some floating silk plants, anything that doesn't have sharp edges on leaves. I even find some soft plants at the dollar store every now and then.

The best time for spawning is early in the morning, and I do mean EARLY! :rolleyes: 5.30 am is a perfect time, of course not neccessarily for me or you, but the fish could care less if we are still tired or what....

As soon as the eggs are deposited on the plant, take the whole plant out and put it in a separate container containing the same tank water and an airstone.... :)

is the new fish white? You should be able to see the bumps if you can feel them. Even if it is male it could still be agression. My Male chases my females all around the tank, but he does it to get them out of his way and stick them where he wants them. Domestic violence it is. lol He is such a controlling man.

ok but now i looked at the fish and now he stopped chasing my other fish. and i bought a live plant from the store is it better to sink it or make it float? how could i trigger the female to lay her eggs?

Try raising the temperature a couple of degrees, and keep her more frequent meals. A bigger water change after a few days also might help... :)

It is perfectly normal for fish to stop chasing after a while, only to continue it a week or so later...