Still Having Issues.

eather.hey

My ryukin, Nugget has always had mild SBD, but it's been bad lately. She has been on her back for 2 weeks now. I bought a plastic basket and hung it on the side of the tank to at least take the water weight off of her a little. This seemed to help somewhat.

My fantail, Dipstick, has had dropsy for over a week now, closer to 2. He's pineconing and has swollen eys. It was caused by high nitrates, I'm assuming at least. I finally have the nitrates under control and I've been medicating w/ Maracyn and Maracyn 2.

I came home today and found my calico oranda with swollen eye sockets, not like popeye, but more like the begining of dropsy. I tested my water right away, to check for high nitrates and this is what I got...

ammonia--0

nitrite--0

nitrate--around 20

pH--7.4

I don't have any epsom salt in the tank (even though I bought some) b/c I'm worried about my pair of corys. I'm thinking of putting them in the goldie fry tank, so I can salt the main tank.

It's weird. The water is under control now and I've been medicating for 5 days now, and things are only getting worse.

I don't really have a question. Just kind of updating and stating the facts and venting I guess.

Wish us luck!

Heather I am sorry to hear of this. My reaction is the other is probably starting with dropsy as well. Your idea of moving the corys and salting is the way I would go. Have you turned up the heat? This may help as well.

It can be tough and slow to bring them back, 5 days huh, I think you're running right along with what happened with Sapphy it was a good week before I seen a turn for the better...........and that was only to say she wasn't getting worse.

But how is the 1st fish? Better, worse or maintaining. It is terrible about the second fish, but it may not be an indication of things not working. Just that this fish had underlying issues???? Positive thinking.... :D

I took the corys out and put them in the fry tank, they are adjusting better than I thought.

I've been adding the salt. I mixed it up in a pitcher and I've been adding it slowly. The calico oranda's swelling has gone down, but he's been up at the top getting air all day. Dipstick is still swollen up like a balloon. Nugget is still upside down in her basket.

I ordered some metromed food last Sunday, but had a problem with UPS, and now I can't pick it up till Monday, so I'm bummed about that.

I'm still using Maracyn 2. Nothing has really improved much. It's very frustrating. The params are still great. The Maracyn is making the water so dark, I hate that.

I'm gonna add another bubble wand, I think they need some more air in there.

All I can do is wait. :cry1

I've used up all of my medigold this week. I bought some krill today, I read once that it's a good thing to feed sick fish, high in omega 3's and protein. I've been feeding them pretty much all frozen food, I figured it's better than dry. I wish UPS was open on the weekend!

Thanks for the wishes!! :heart

Archived