Python

jsrtist

I have the 50' Python and need suggestions on how to dry it out after I use it. I use it once a week for my 100 gallon when I do water changes. Everytime I go to get it out I dump nasty old water out onto the floor. I try to drain all the water out of it after I use it but it still always seems to be wet inside. Also its growing algae in it too. I store it under my 30 gallon tank but the stand doesnt have a back so my high intensity plant lights are causing algae to grow in it. Whats the best way to keep it clean and dry? I thought of laying it out back while its still warm out but I live in an apartment and for one thing dont know how safe it would be or if they spray for bugs and stuff. Suggestions are welcome!!

I have a 50' as well. I roll it up from the syphon end with the suction going, holding the hose vertically before I roll it so the water is sucked back through the hose. Almost all the water is removed this way, and I've never had it still be wet by the time I used it the next week. Obviously finding somewhere else to store it or a way to cover it to lessen the light it gets would help the algae. Cleaning the inside of the tube is difficult if not impossible. If I have a reason to, I run strong PP or bleach solution through my hose, and use a filter brush attached to a loooong wire to scrub it out. Boy, what a pain that is! You can also buy replacement hoses if yours is especially gunky.

Guest Bunnylee

I also just roll it up with the suction still on. It really seems to get all the water that way. I store mine in a 5 gallon bucket in the garage. No danger of chemicals in there since no one goes in there except to back out the car. Not a very handy family.....Everyone drools at how clean it stays. Haaa lot they know....

Archived