New To Snails

Ruffledmumkin

Are snails hard to care for. I didn't seem to have much luck with them before. It died pretty quickly. Are there certain kinds of meds you shouldn't use if you have snails in your tank? I would like to get a few to replace my CAE's. They are starting to attack my fish. I think the snails would work out better, if I knew how to take care of them.

I can tell you a little about Apple Snails.There are numerous species. From Cana's that get to be almost the size of softballs,and eat Aquarium plants, To Pomacea Bridgesii AKA-"Brig" Snails,who come in a rainbow of color's,grow to golf ball size,and usually only eat dead or rotting plant materials in your tank.Snails need a PH of 7.5---8,in order to keep their shells hard & healthy.Snails do NOT live on algae alone. They will eat bloodworms,shrimp pellets,fish food,and most types of veggies are preferred. Snails need extra calcium .You can do this by placing a cuttlebone,and /or Liquid calcium into the tank daily. SNails need veggies like spinach/Kale/collard greens/zucchinni/etc.in their daily diet. If you have any more questions, etc. Check out Apple SnailsHope this helps. :) P.S. Snails are very sensitive to Most meds in your fish tanks.

From Cana's that get to be almost the size of softballs

:o Wow that is huge! I had no idea that some could get that big. Sounds like a lot of work, I thought they just ate algae. Maybe that is why he died. The people at the lfs didn't tell me all this. I wish I had known, I would have been able to care for him properly. I think I need to learn more about snails before I can decide if they are for me. Thanks for the info Devs. :D

:) Don't feel bad.We all assume at one time or another that snails only eat algae.Unfortunately,the ones that do like the algae are called "Pest Snails" because all they do is Reproduce. :crp Snails can be alot of fun-they're beautiful with all the color's they have,etc. but they are the same as keeping fish.There are chores that go with it... By the way,Cana's have the potentil to grow pretty darn big,at least Tennisball size.Insulariums are the ones that get really big! :yeah:

That Apple Snail forum is perfect to learn.They have alot of articles,and if you look on the Index,it says Discussions.Click that on,and ,that will take you into their forum area. :)

Ooh, it's http://www.applesnail.net . Not applesnailS. Teehee, typo! I couldn't figure out why you couldn't find any info on snails; the entire website is about snails.

306612[/snapback]

:rofl Well at least what I did type had Apples involved!!!!! hahahahahaa......I was sooooo tired when I was doing that.I gotta start getting more sleep!

There's some debate over this, whether or not to add salt with snails. Some people do; most people don't. Some species of snails are actually from brackish water, but they aren't the kinds you'll most likely find. Personally, I wouldn't put snails with salt, simply because my snails are a bit spoiled and I don't really want to expose them to anything that might be potentially dangerous.

Soo.. I don't really know.

Donya??

Archived