They,ve Hatched! Now What?

Guest truffles

Guest truffles

Hi I am new to this site. I have a small 90 gal. pond in our yard. I found our goldfish spawning, and retrieved a few of the eggs. I put them in a fish bowl with some pond water and plants. they hatched and I have alot of tiny fry. will they be able to eat whats in the pond water, if so should i add more? replace some with fresh pond water? I,m sure there are a ton more in the pond, but there are about 8 goldfish in it, three were females that were laying the eggs. alot were caught up in moss. will this affect their ability to swim free? any help will be greatly appreciated! thanks. truffles. :D

ok, first things first. you need something bigger than a bowl. you can get a cheap plastic tub to put them in or the water will get too dirty for the little guys to stay alive. and there isnt enough surface area in a bowl so they dont get enough oxygen. next, to the fun part. the best thing to feed them is baby brine shrimp but just feeding their eggs is good. you can actually see them eating the eggs which is adorable. you can pick up those quite cheap at the local fish store. dont feed them for the first couple of days until they are free swimming though or it will soil the water as at that point they are absorbing their egg sacks and their mouths havent developed. algea is also a good source of food for them so if you have that in the pond water, by all means, use it but make sure the water you are replacing is the same temperature as the water the fry are in. dont change the water properly until they are a bit bigger though as they easily break their backs. im not really sure about if the fry will be able to make it out of the moss but i guess you could take some moss out and gently dunk it in a bucket of pond water to see if any fry some out. if not, i should think they will be ok but the parents will more than likely eat them if they stay in the water but since there is moss in there, they have a better chance. have a read of the post at the top of the breeding forum. that should help you a bit more. good luck!! :D

*taking notes down* thats some good answers youve given, Amy. say, what is surface area? what is that exactly? my dad said something about oxygen and stuff but i dont really get it. can you define it? :P

Guest truffles
:D Thanks for your help! i moved them to a much larger bucket! how big should they be before addingv them back into the pond? you mentioned they would eat algea. what about algea wafers, is this a good sourse?there is alot of green perticals on the bottom of the bucket, it has pond water in it. will this be suficiant? we only have one pet store near us and that is still 25 miles away, and they didnt have anything in stock for feeding them.they hatched on the 19 th of this month. :unsure: what about hard boiled egg yolk? :unsure:

algea is better fresh but if you crumble the wafers up really fine then it should be ok as a snack from time to time. also, if you crush up some flakes and put them through a seive to make sure theyre fine enough, that would be ok. the egg yolk does work but its messy. one easy peasy thing you can do is to buy some baby food. thats already fine enough for the fry and they love it! one more thing, make sure the water is no deeper than 6" and there is no gravel or they will not be able to get to the surface of the water. hope things go well :D

Guest truffles

the water isnt to deep, but there are some polished stones on the bottom( very small,bean sized) they dont cover the bottom, but were in the fish bowl. what problems do the pebbles cause? i checked them this morning, and they are swimming around the rim of the bucket, they do look a bit bigger! i think there is algea on the plants in there. this was such an unexpected event for me. i,ve had alot of gold fish but nevr had them spawn! do ,or will they spawn again this year? I,m really enjoying this site! thanks for all the help. sierra/ truffles. :D

oh, its only just begun, let me tell you! theyre likely to spawn every other week for a month or so. at one point i ended up with like 700 fry! it they get to rediculous proportions like that, just let the eggs get eaten or it will reduce the attention they get individually and so theyre more likely to die. plus you need so much room for them all! id take out the pebbles if you can or the fry might get stuck under them and die. glad its going well :D

Guest truffles

Wow! I had no idea! silly me! I dont think i will intervien next time. i have they fry in a big metal bucket on my kitchen table right now! our weather is so wierd right now i,m afraid to put the bucket outside! one day its warm and sunny, then it clouds up rains, and high winds! we live in the desert in california, and its rained so much this yearw cant see the cactus for the flowers!lol should i change part of the water they arebin? its looking very green,and kinda yucky!. truffles.

Guest truffles

well, i changed their water today for the first time! they all seem to be doing well!, i cant really tell if they are eating or not, i guess they must be though! I had to clean out their bucket, so i put part pond water, and tap water, but i,m letting it sit for a day or two befor i put the fry back in. they are in temp. accomodations for now!. i,m thinking of investing in a small tank to keep them inside, i,m abit leary of adding them to the pond community, as i,ve had two koi pass on in the last few months. they were about five inches long. so i,m not sure if they were over crowded or what. there are two that are not the common variety goldies, i,m not sure if they are shubunkins, or what. one is solid orange and about 4 inches long, the other is the same shape but white with a very dark orange patch. they both wiggle when they swim, and have very ornate fins, but they dont have the goggly eyes. any ideas? :unsure:

Guest yabbie

I also have a fry care question. Or maybe a series of related or possibly non-related questions. The fact is... I'm too fish ignorant to know.

About six weeks ago I had 100 fry hatch and now I'm a bit lost... or they are... they seem to die off at the rate of about 5-10 a week... and I thought this was normal at the start but it doesn't seem to be slowing down... anyway, a quick count shows less than 40 left.

They are in a tank which gets the bottom vacuumed and topped up with 50/50 pond and tap water twice a week... because of the messy food. They spent three weeks eating liquified boiled egg yolk and fish flake and during that time a few went mouldy and died but the water quality is much nicer since I started feeding them powdered flake fish food. I tried a bit of crushed pea today too.

Their parents were comets, a fantail and a shibunkin and while some of them are distinctly comet shaped, others resemble tadpoles. Some dangerously so, in fact they look like they are swollen and constipated and some act like it... flopping down to the bottom of the tank and swimming in grumpy loops. Others have tiny upturned tails (do shibunkins or fantails start out that way?) and seem to expend much more effort swimming about and some of these spend a bit of time going straight up and over like some crazed stunt pilot.

I suspect the stunt pilots and the constipated tadpoles are next on the death list and that this rate of death is beyond normal. Is the diet too mundane, or my water treatment methods too harsh?

They can't go back in the pond with the parents because they've destroyed a dozen African cabbages and all the other water weeds in a sudden feeding frenzy and there's no where left to hide.

id say the fry are either dying from flukes, ich or water quality issues. you can get some simple test kits at the local pet shop. the nitrite and ammonia need to be at 0 and, being so small, they will be more suspectable to dying from high levels of either. i always put aquarium salt in at 3% in my fry tank anyway and that will get rid of ich and the flukes that could be affecting the fry. add in 1% every 24 hours for 3 appications so as not to shock them though. good luck! :)

Guest truffles

I think I may just be lucky, i only was able to salvage a few eggs, which hatched on march 19,th. i changed their water once and put them in the bottom half of a gallon milk jug, i sucktion out the yuck on the bottom, and ad some water we keep standing for my betta. i put a square of tubilflex worms in which they are eating,(i think) as well as crushed flakes. I had them in a big bucket, but i thought the goldies were going to spawn again so moved them. i thought there was only 12, but after i moved them i counted around 18. I cleaned out my pond thinking i only had 7-8, and a BF tadpole, but found 10 goldies, and the tadpole. two of the goldies are really small! my fry look like skinny squiggles with eyes! . truffles. :D

Guest yabbie

Hmmm, you sound like a goldfish whisperer. Squiggle? Not sticks with eyes? The ones that squiggle at my place are mosquito lavae. I have to keep plucking them out of the tank, naughty things.

A friend of mine has an enormous decorative bowl near her back door that she fills and adds weed to from her pond when she's entertaining for a little mock waterfeature but usually tips it into the garden after. She didn't one time because she had to go away the next day. As she was tipping it out a month later... she saw two tiny fish swimming around in it. The weed had had eggs on it and she did nothing, no feeding, no waterchanges, the water in the bowl even heated up a few times in the blazing summer sun... and she still got two fish! So you see... even if you do nothing you still get more fish.

Thanks for your answer Blinky. I read around a few other fry threads and have added some nice algae covered weed to their tank and a bit of aquarium salt. I still think some of them have really weird tails but we'll see how they turn out.

Guest truffles

they only squiggle when swimming, i didnt think of sticks with eyes! lol but they do resemble th, they are getting bigger now and plumping out a bit. they are great fun! i,m really enjoying them. i had a goldie in my pond who was getting very fat, and one of my fancier goldies was kinda following her around, but so far i havent noticed any frenzied activity, or eggs. truffles.

Guest yabbie

Mine are seven weeks old and seem to have stopped growing weeks ago. They seem to eat well and some of them look overfed. Perhaps it's just my imagination.

Is 30/100 fry at seven weeks a reasonable result?

I need to find them new homes in the next week or two... is there anyway to identify the ones that might be shibunkins from the ones that might be comets?

Guest truffles

I dont really know much about identifying them, mine are about 3 weeks old now, and some are much bigger than others, but all seem to be eating well. i have between 13-20, its so hard to count them when they are all swimming around! It has really given me confidence raising these babies from little eggs! I bought a female betta today, my male we,ve had for some time now, and he really has an impressive bubble nest going, so when she gets a belly full of eggs I will try to have them spawn!. sorry I couldnt be more help. good luck with your fishies!uffles. :newfish

30/100 is a great result! shubunkins will be sort of transparent and the comets will be metalic. try feeding them some live/high protein foods. that will help them enormously. congrats truffles! and good luck with the bettas. ive tried so many times to breed mine with only one sucessful spawning and even then the female ate the eggs then commited suicide and the other girl doesnt wanna know. hope it all goes well!

Guest yabbie

There's only a few that are metallic and one of them has it's tail starting to lengthen... the shibunkin parent has a long flowing tail... there was also a white male fantail parent and I can see some very white fry and and some with tails that are just this week starting to fan. There are a lot of very thin ones that are almost black... I suspect they may be shibunkins... or not... the shibunkin may not even have been involved in this whole process. I'm pretty sure the largest comet and the fantail were tho.

Maybe I won't give them away just yet... I'm too interested to see how they turn out. It just means they drop down to one feed a day while I'm away on holiday for two weeks.

I'm glad 30 is good. I did a few things wrong but I was hoping I hadn't been a mass murderer.

Guest yabbie

At seven weeks some of them have real eyes with silver irises and black pupils and some still have all black goggle eyes... it looks weird.

The eye change thing seems random, nothing to do with size etc.

I still have a few completely white transparent ones that seem ill, the few with stubby tails have died. The ghost fry are different sizes and some have silver eyes and they still eat well... so it doesn't seem to affect their growth. They just don't swim well and rest a lot. The others are colouring up with green or brown stripes along their backs and getting distinct fin shapes etc.

I'm not sure they actually have anything. They may be reacting to the water being bad for a while or just have defects.

Guest yabbie

Defects!

A little intense staring has shown that two of these odd fish have strange water filled bladders in front of their swim bladder pushing it way too far back and that is why they hang head down and swim like rocking horses. They look like blisters in need of a good pinprick. Otherwise, healthy and eating well.

Less happy is a little fish with a humped spine. There is also one of the almost non-existent tail ones still kicking around. It doesn't seem to be growing fins either but it's happy.

But we'll see where they are in a couple of weeks. Maybe rocking-horse like fish will catch on.

I have a son with Aspergers and I always wonder that if ADD kids are the hunter-gatherer kids from our past then Asperger kids are the abstract thinker kids from our future. I don't think different is always wrong.

I think I had the same problem, some of my fry got transparent and then died. I don't know why. I only have one fry left, Maxi, and he's got a defect gill, but seems happy enough! His mom is a shubunkin, but the father could be a common or a shubunkin, time will show.

Guest truffles

Hi all! i have been unable to be on the comp. much as i,ve been terribly ill since last friday :ill . am better today. I put my little fry into a bigger container yesterday and all but 2 died, :cry1 I dont know what happened. I was so carefull with them :cry1 I put the two survivors back in the old container, and they are fareing well.they are almost 4 weeks old now. my female betta is rooming with a baby fan tail, I just got the fan tail yesterday, and she is a verasciose eater! and soo cute, all orange with a white face!the betta is cool with it, but really doesnt like pencils/ she was trying to attack the eraser from inside, and she got really pushy with her reflection.lol

That is sad about the fry dying.... :)

Did you make sure it was the same temperature and pH in the new container? That is usually what does it for fry - temperature or pH difference.

Archived