Uv Filter

UVs are great. Where you run into the large expense is several ways. Many units come without any accompanying plumbing. It takes some fussing and shopping at the hardware store (I love those places! ) to find all the tubes, fasteners, joiners, etc to get it plumbed into your system. The hard part is the pump flow. You need to make sure that the water is pumped slowly enough through the UV unit that the Ultraviolet light has time enough to achieve the kill rate you want. Too fast, and it cannot kill enough, too slow and it is inefficiant. A lot also depends on the size of the bulb in the unit and the wavelengths it utilizes.

IF your pump you are using cannot properly pump the water for the unit, you end up having to buy a new pump, too. That adds up.

Keep in mind thatyou will be needing to replace that bulb at least once a year - so add in the cost of the bulb - and the availability of replacements when looking for a unit.

I like the 25 watt one that Rick has on Goldfish Connection. It is higher priced, though. For the ease of the entire unit being contructed to work together in harmony - it cannot be beat. You can certainly put together a system that works as well, and for less, but you need to really think about all the components.

:)

Yep, yep and yep! I agree on all counts. :exactly

You can get that exact same UV (I've got one!) for quite a bit less than that link you were provided. Try here: Big Als Online

This unit works very well for killing off parasites, bacteria and fungi. A few specs are here:

Bacteria : 253gph

Algae : 121gph

Parasites : 55 gph

These are what the flow rate has to be set at (or less) for this particular unit to effectively destroy each.

Now, in knowing this, you will have to run a pump through the uv at a rate of 55gph to remove all of the above. So, a powerhead/sump/canister filter has to be employed to run it. If the canister filter or pump pumps too fast, a ball valve or the like needs to be used to control the flow. As you see, this is where all the extra costs are incurred. No worries though, the bare bones necessities will be vinyl tubing, a hose clamp, the uv unit and a powerhead (prefferably an adjustable one like the aquaclears).

The added touches can be a nice return , rounded 90 degree elbows, and maybe a prefilter for the powerhead/sump. Or later, if you wanted to lose the powerhead, you could get an in-line external pump like the danner/supremes.........

If you need help with the finding pumps and whatnot, just lemme know.... :ehh

Hope this helps! :D

Wow, what a good price, Toothy. Yes, I do need help picking out a pump and whatnots! Any help is appreciated. Is that the exact 1 that you have? What size tank is it on?

The whole kit-and-kaboodle on goldfishconnection is great, but sadly, way out of my price range. Although once it's all said and done after all I've been thru with problems, medicine and actually buying a UV filter, I'm sure I'll spend that much.

Oh, what to do, what to do... :rolleyes:

Personally, I feel that Ricks deal at goldfish connection is the very best bang for the buck without all the hassles of set-up. However, the way it is set-up isn't exactly conducive to everyones tanks and filter configurations. Some research into the exact dimensions of his UV unit should be done before purchasing.

I like mine very much and use it on my 55 gallon tank. I use it with this powerhead:

Aquaclear 402

The neat thing about this fuilter is that you can get this attachment for it:

Quickfilter attachment

The quickfilter attachment can be used with a 1 micron sleeve for water polishing capabilities. OR you can just keep filter floss rolled up in there. Either way, it comes with two nice sized baskets for bio-media or chemical media. They are fit nice and snug inside of the micron sleeve or filter floss and all water has to pass through it to get into the powerhead. definitely one of the better inventions for aquatics! ;)

All in all, you dont necessarily need to have anything attached to the powerhead except maybe an extension tube with strainer. The powrhead already has a bit of one built into it.

The tubing that you want to use sould be flexible 1/2 inch ID tubing. Vinyl works well if its thin enough to flex for what you need other wise, you can purchase these to remove any and all bends in the tubing:

90 degree elbows and flow valves

Remember, if you are wanting this unit to kill off everything including parasites, 55 gallons per hor is the max you want the water to flow through the uv. the flow valve will help do this for you but experimantation with a bucket is needed. The 55 gallons per hour should be plenty for your tank if left to run constantly.

So, Thats what I have hunted down for you so far. Does this look promising? :huh:

B) I prefer and recommend for a 75 gallon the Turbo Twist 6x 18W sterilizer. I have the 12x 36W on my 125 gallon and it works nicely. I use a magum 350 with a prefilter. But for your tank I would use a smaller water pump. I STRONGLY suggest to get a water pump with the prefilter, it help keep the quartz sleeve cleaner which in turn kepps the uv working properly.Good luck.

Yep, yep and yep! I agree on all counts. :exactly

You can get that exact same UV (I've got one!) for quite a bit less than that link you were provided. Try here: Big Als Online

:lol: Hey,that's one of the ones I mentioned to you the other day! I just couldn't tell you all the rest of the stuff! :rolleyes:

Yes, I have a canister filter on the tank, a H.O.T. Magnum (and an Aquaclear 500). The Magnum runs at 250 GPH.

Mookie, I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff, your post was in a different language to me...lol

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BlackStripe

Hi all,

I'm still trying to figure out how a UV Sterilizer can work in my particular set-up. Is it necessary to have a canister filter to run a UV? All I have is a Penguin Bio-Wheel 350 and a Hydro-Sponge with air pump and airstone attached for my 29 gal tank.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/produc...ategory_id=2979

I would like to get a Coralife 3X 9w but not sure if I need to also get a powerhead or can I run through my existing filter? I am so confused! :krazy:

I've read through all of your really good information and am learning alot! I'm but a novice in this crazy world of aquatics, so any info about my set up would be great!

Thanks!!

Sorry for the delay in answering....... :)

You can run the uv with ONLY a seperate pump or a cannister filter. Is the 350 you have the cannister (magnum) or is it the hang on the back/ waterfall type?

Post back soon. :D

Paul

Guest BlackStripe

Hey Paul,

I'm sorry too for the delay. I have a "hang-on-the-back" type with bio-wheel (not canister). Thats why I wasn't sure what additional equipment I might need. I am probably going to get the UV on Goldfishconnection because it includes everything I need. I'm only weary because nobody seems to have used this one (Clarifier Excel) so I have no feedback.

The Clarifier Excel comes with a pump and all fittings. I'll let you all know if I get it and how well it works.

Thanks!

Guest jhansolo

The lamps need to be changed regularly, so it is wise to check on the availability of spare lamps. Not all brands use propriety lamps, I would go for those that don?t as it would definitely mean lower up keeping cost. The other point of consideration is safety; UV leak is not to be joke with. Make sure the UV is sturdy in its construction & design.

The UV they sell over at goldfish connection is perhaps the best out of the package and onto the tank setup you can get. I think you will be very pleased to know tha once you get it up and running on your tank. The water in it will be 99% free of all bacteria, fungi, parasites and algae. As you can read on GC, that unit is well equipped to kill ANYTHING that passes through it.

As mentioned above, just be sure to replace the bulb once a year (if run continuosly) to be well and sure the unit is indeed doing what it was designed to do. Regular cleaning of the quartz sleeve inside should be done as well.

Good luck and let us know how you like it....... :D

Archived