How Often Do You Guys Clean Your Tanks ?

kiesha

• Admin

I dont ever clean the tank, Just do water changes twice a week sometimes just once a week. Gravel siphon once a week.

Clean the filters Eheim 2026 Canister once every two months, the Hang on the back once a week..... :)

same here, unless i get bored, then tank maintainence goes way up. i tend to over clean occasionally. i sometimes do small water changes every other day in some tanks. then i will swish out the filters in the tank water, to clear the poo.

all i have is hang on filters. i vacum the gravel every water change, mostly because i think i tend to feed too often.

I never break the tanks down and clean everything, unless one of them is being moved or that kind of thing.

Most of my tanks I gravel vac and do a water change once a week, however, one of my tanks needs to be done once every 4 days or so to be kept looking good. It is heavily planted and the fish nibble on the plants and I think they poop a lot more since they have a 24 hour salad bar :lol .

My tanks are all understocked, so I think that makes things a bit easier.

ok I was just curious. my mom will actually take the fish out and clean the tank like once a year. her tank always looks awesome. .. I do a water change weekly, and the vac also

I gravel vaccum whenever it looks too poopy, it may be once a week or 3 times a week LOL.....my fish poo a lot what can I say!

that and I'm addicted to gravel vaccuming..........I have to sit on my hands until my nitrates are stable.....so hard not to gravel vaccum.....must not gravel vaccum :thud

For my 100 gallon I do about 30% water changes once a week. I was advised by some friends that I was actually over cleaning my tank (my nitrates were about 5) and I kept having fish getting sick! My friend told me that cleaning eliminates bad as well as good bacteria and since Ive been doing this Ive had no sick fish (***knock on wood***). I will also point out though that my tank is essentially barebottom with only some river rocks and I vacuum the whole thing every week. I also do a good algae scrub on the outer 3 walls before the water change (I leave algae on the back wall for my nibblers). I rarely clean the canisters but will rinse the HOB filter cartridges in tank water every few weeks or when I see the water flow being reduced. With proper regular maintenance you should never need to tear a tank completely down. Even when I moved and set all my tanks back up I saved all the rocks and the dirtiest water to get my new tank going again.

Guest rigpiguk

A 25% water change on the day I go back to work and the same again 14 days later when I get back. No other bugger will put their hands near the water. I've only had the Fluval canister for a couple of months and not touched it as yet. I've not had any problems for ages since I actually started to read up on this fish keeping malarky.

Could be that too much cleaning isn't good for them there fish B)

i vacuum the gravel & change 25% of the water once a week. as for the filter media, i rince out the aquaclear sponges once a week using the aquarium water.

I change 25-30% of the water every week along with cleaning the gravel. I clean my filter box every two weeks along with rinsing off the filter pad(seems to take about two weeks to accumulate enough debris to have to do it). I put a brand new filter pad in every month. I clean the glass every week when I do the water change/gravel cleaning. That way my water constantly looks like glass. I also clean the hood weekly too.

Archived