Confuseled

Jaxom_Ruatha

Okay so I am looking into getting some type of decorative snails for my pond (I think snails are awesome looking), I was told to get Trapdoor Snails because I have dojos (Weather loaches) and goldfish. But while searching around on the web I come to a place that said another name for trapdoor snails are mystery snails, and I am like okay I guess that could be true, and then I go somewhere else searching on mystery snails and it said another name for mystery snails was apple snails, and I think that can not be right. Can anyone fill me on, on the different species of snails? I also was recommended to get Malaysian snails, are those also named Malaysian Trumpet Snails or are those both two entirely different species?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P. S. I do realize that they need something more to feed off of other than algae, but another of my reasons for getting snails is so they can clean the algae off of my plants without eating the plants, can anyone recommend a species of snail that might be compatible with dojos and not eat plants?

Hi Jaxom!

Actually, as I understood/understand it, the trapdoor snails, at least the ones I was looking at, spiral shells, sort of upright, are related to the malaysians. Mystery Snails are related to apple snails (briggs). The MTS's are more of a algae eater (and will keep the soil/gravel turned like a worm does ground), briggs (apple snails) will eat dead & dying leaves, a bit of algae, and love a few of the same vegies & fruits the goldies do. What you do not want in with plants is the Canna variety of apple snail!

The drawback will be that they have to come in winter as the ponds will get too cold for them.

Pond snails are actually a physa acuta variety, but there's a drawback, they will munch plants, pretty small and breed like crazy. There's also the chance the fish will eat heartily on them. :blink:

So, its still a toss up! You could research further over at the applesnail.net forum as they show pretty much everything and there's a forum there as well! :)

so, if I havn't got something right, I know the more knowledgable members will correct me! :)

:) Hi,I'm fairly new myself,but I will tell you what I know. Apple Snails are sometimes called Mystery Snails. There are numerous species in the Apple Snail family. Cana's,Insulariums,Pomacea Bridgesii,etc... There are also what they call Mini Mystery Snails,or Mini Viv's.They are from the snail family called Viviparous ,and they look like a mini version of kind of a blue/grey apple snail,but they're not. They may be a snail to look into,. They need a female and a male to mate.They actually do eat algae more than any interests in your plants,and they're not invasive. As far as I know,Malaysian Snails,and Malaysian Trumpet Snails are the same snail. Out of all the Loaches,Dojo's are probably the one least likely to bother your snails,unless they're very small,or dead. There are different pond snails,etc.but I thought I read that your fish are only in the pond for acouple months.Is that true? If that is the case,you may want to stick with something that won't mass produce.I'm sure you may have allready been there,butApple Snails is really the best place to go for info on different types of snails.Give them a try. :D When you're searching through the info,if you look under Discussions,that will take you into a forum,where you can do alot of searching,or ask any questions..Hope this helps! ;)

LOL, thanks for the quick answer guys. Yes I did say that my goldfish had only been in my pond for a couple of months a while ago, becuase I haven't even had a pond until a couple of months ago. The pond is actually their permanent home since the survived the winter amazingly well. The pond never even froze over, although one day it snowed a lot and the whole pond surface was covered in like an inch thick layer of snow mush.

From what you guys are telling me it looks like I want some briggs/Mini Vivs (I actually saw some mini vivs to bid on at aquabid, I just didn't have any idea what they were) and some Malaysian (Trumpet) Snails.

Meanwhile I'll go take a peek at apllesnail.net :D

Well after looking at all my options at aquabid, I have ecided to bid on some Ramshorn and Malaysin Trumpet snails. If all goes as planned, they wont be eating my plants and will live happy lives in my pond. I am still a bit confused when it comes to mystery/apple/brig snails, although I almost bid on "red mystery snails" which I am pretty sure are brigs (Take a look at what I am talking about here:Aquabid), also a beautiful looking golden apple snail (look here:Aquabid), or the ?Ruby Red Snails? (see here:Aquabid) but decided on the ramshorn and malaysian trumpet snails instead.

Although the hot topic snails seemed to be the marisas and brigs.

Yup, just remember you would need to bring them inside and overwinter them as the snow would be too cold.

We had the same here, a bit of the slush off and on. But it did freeze a couple of times. But you don't want your pond to freeze over completely anyway, leaving the water hose & pump circulating the water or by getting a cattle trough heater to keep a opening so the gases can escape. I just dropped my hose down this year and it kept a nice big spot open and kept it ciruculated. Worked out well! :D

Archived