Oooh Noooo

smack536

Guest 20292

Well my mom said that i could not have them, but i am still trying to let her allow me to have them and i will not be here next week, so i can not have them until after i can back!!! I will be back on April 4th!!!! I might have access to a computer before, and if i do then i will let you know if she has chnaged her mind!!

Dean

Well, I have 6 crabs still(i think)....2 are burried right now

My mom has hated them from the get go...she says they look like tarantulas.....

and now iwth the new tank, I have 6 fish tanks plus 2 non fish(crabbies and milipedes) tanks in my room, and she just a bit P.O'd at me....says my critters make her house smell like a fish market... :blink:

she doesnt share my love of animals....plus, Im inheriting a hamster soon too...yet another tank :crp

aw. :( well, my mommy dont like me having my turtle either! lol. she saids theyre creepy because one night my turtle was walking about and she[my mom] was in the bathroom, came out, saw her[my turtle] and screamed. good times! :)

what happened to the old tank you kept the hemmies at? still there?

:rofl i can just imaging what my mom would do if a random turtle went crusing past her in the bathroom....she hates when I let the crabs walk around the floor.... :D

I stillhave the hermie tank....theyre living in it!!! the new tank is for fish

haha i see youre still alive! i got a few questions because you got my interested in hemmies. :)

sand or gravel? i dont know, cant tell but i can read. so which is better?

they like moist sand or what?

and for a 'tank' im going to use the box turtle strategies of making one. getting a drawer[very big one] and placing sand in it, a half-cut cup to make it a home and voila! :P

i want some picsssss!!

haha....you can have these guys....if you want....

I keep mine on sand.....I used to have a mix of sand and that bed-a-beast stuff, but it got really nasty, so I just went with all sand.

When I clean the tank, I usually pour some water over the sand and mix it up so its all nice and damp-ish. a little drier then what you would build a sandcastle with. they need humidity, so with coupled with a big shallow water bowl, and a deeper woater bowl w/ sponge makes it nice n moist.....I have a strip light over them for heat since my under tank heater crapped out on me.

drawer?!?! How will you see them??? :blink: I love watching them cruise around thru the glass. they climb the poles to the second floor of my tank and slide down like firemen :D

what the heck is a half-cup cut??

Hermies.jpg

this pic is old, I think only 2 of the crabs in the pic are still living....I didnt have good luck at first. this is when I had the bed-a-beast stuff up on the second floor, now I just have sand up there too. they love the little ramp :)

hehe yeah Teeny, old pic. well, to be specific..

you know those cabinet drawers? where you put clothes, socks etc? take the drawer out.

since the hemmies are small, they can fit right in. put sand at bottom, about 1" or so.

as for the half-cut cup. standard plastic cup, cut it in half so it have a half-moon look when covering the sand. :P

btw, what do they eat?

I see.....I just cant imagine a stinky old sock drawer just chillin there...like, hey, look, its the crabitat!!!

wont the drawer git mooshy if the sands wet and the drawers wood?? or one of the plastic stacky ones??

the cups are a good idea.....a really good idea! I may try that with them...adn the fish....Ive tried breaking the terracotta pots, but i end up w/ crumbs... :(

they eat crab food, fish food, people food, and fruits and veggies...some...they seem to prefer them rotten.... <_<

many people used the drawer as a small habitat for their box turtles. im not sure if i can locate the pictures that these people had.

how did you cut the pot? theres different ways of cutting it, other ways would just crumble it instead. anyway:

DSCF0001_001.sized.jpg

note, these are NOT my picture but im just trying to show you.

take a look at the left side, on the shelf, those are drawers, inside -- are box turtles, little ones.

and in reality though, theres no socks of clothes ever on the drawers. ive got many cabinets and drawers i havent used since forever. ew, rotten food? healthy?

oh!! thats a really nifty idea!!!!

I was not picturing that AT ALL!!!

god, Id die for a fish room like that...a fish room at all... :rofl

im sure rotten wood would git a bit rank after awhile....maybe line them with plastic before you put the crabs in?

as for the pots..i just went at em w/ a chsel n hammer.... :wacko:

chisel and hammer, no wonder you broke the pot LOL. get those razor sharp machine thing that cuts it straight. it works ive tried it. theres some in home depot, but its like 25cent or something to cut it.

oh, and about rot, since its not a turtle and the sand would be moist, i would add thin plastic layers around the four sides and a small plastic layer under also.

lol, thats not a fish room Teeny, its a turtle room. o_o!

no clue what your talking about...you mean a band saw? I could just take it to school with me...Im in the art and shop rooms all day anyhow...just hack it in half there.

fish room, turtle room, its just awesome...its like an indoor pond man! id die for that!

That is a really cool crabitat setup Smack! I love the second level. I really need to put something like that in mine.

Really a drawer is not a suitable living area for any animal, hermit crab or turtle. The wood contains chemicals that when wet can leach into the water and food and substrate. Also hermits will EAT the wood, so it really isnt a way to keep them. They should be in a large aquarium with a glass lid to keep in humidity.

ooh....those are nice...like rabbit hutches....

thnx jsrtst....everyone seems to love that...i saw a pic of it once, but i cnat remember where...thats where I got the idea from!

she killed it....she never fed it and kept it in a litterbox in the garage....I remember sneeking over and looking thru the mail-box-slot thingie in the garage door to see him...Speedy...very creative...I was only like 8 at the time rofl :D

Archived