Oooh Noooo

smack536

since Im getting the new fish tank, my mom is making me get rid of my hermies....

is there anyone around here that wants them or has any ideas what I could do with them????

:cry1:cry1:cry1

there are 6....5 purple pinchers and one...jsrtist told me the name, but I forget now....its grey adn hairy and its claw looks like its from a crab 6 times bigger..... :(

Guest 20292

Can the hermies go in a 10 gallon tank and what do you have to feed them? If i can get these replies, then i will think about taking them and maybe buy some off of you!!!!!

Dean

They are living in a 10 gallon now, they eat crab food, drink dechlor water.....I will sell everything except the tank with them.....or give them w/o their stuff....

Guest 20292

Does that mean that they can have the tank filled with water all the way except for about an inch at the top or would they like it better with just a little bit of water becuase i have a five gallon tank that has nothing in it and that would be fine if they can have light, how much would it cost for shipping and what all comes with them when you are selling them? Does it come with their food, rocks, water dish, water sponge, all of those things? Why don't you want to sell the tank? How much will you sell them for? Thanks a lot!!

Dean

Well, these are land hermit crabs, they live on sand, not in water. they need a water dish, I have a reptile rock looking dish for them and another deeper one with a sponge in it. Im sure they would be alright in a 5 gallon, Im not sure waht the over-crowding ratio is for hermies. You could go to www.hermit-crabs.net they have really really good info....I studied there before I got theses guys.

I dont know waht shipping would be....I have no clue, frankly, how to ship thme if I did....I also have one of my teachers interested in buying them for her nephew.

If I sold them, they would go with their sand, food and water dishes, sponges, shells, toys, coconut huts, food, etc. I may sell the tank, but I'd like to keep it if I get something else in the future. its a leaker anyhow, and its gota makeshift lid.

I honestly have no clue on prices at this point....I guess im open to offers

Guest 20292

Would you like to split the crabs, i can have 3 and your teacher can have three and i can have the stuff and you can go with your teacher and have her buy that stuff that she needs!!! I will say 20.00 bucks or what ever you would like!!! I might not be able to have them, depending on what my mom says!!!!!!

Dean

Well, my teacher doesnt want them, so right now, theyre all yours, I just have to hammer out a price.....and figure out how to ship them....

As for prices, I think im gonna calculate what all they're stuff cost originally and half it, plus the crabs themselves.

Guest 20292

Okay!! When it comes to fish, they have to be over nighted and i assume that these will have to be too!!! How about 30.00 becuase i know that shipping is like 30-40 and i am not paying over 40!!!!!!! Can you send me pictures?

Guest 20292

I forgot to ask you but do you know how much food is left? and do i have to fill the sponge every day or once a week nd is dechlorified water the water that we drink or the destilled water from the bottles that are sold in stores? I would really like some pictures of everything that you are going to include!!! Thanks a lot, Dean!! You can always e-mail me at rascalflattsfan@charter.net

Im gonna have to find out from someone else on here how to ship them, as Ive never shipped living things before.

The food is 2 brand new containers, I jsut bought new.

I always give them bottled water, but any DECHLORINATED water will be fine-i.e-not straight from the sink

I have 2 water bowls for them...one is real big and shallow that they can walk around in and the other is deeper with a sponge in it. I refill htem every couple days as the water goes down.

I clean their tank once a week, scoop out the crab poops, move around all their stuff, get hte sand outta their extra shells, replace theri food, clean their dishes(NO SOAP)

while im cleaning, however, the crabs take a bath...wich is necesary every week, for healthy crabbies. Ill give you the little tub I use for them, I just put a squirt of stress coat into it and fill it up with about .5-1 inch of room temp-warm water and stick them in it for a couple minutes. Bruiser alwasy escapes, so you sort of have to keep an eye on them while theyre in the tub.

The way my tank is set up, they have 2 floors, I made a little upstairs for them, Ill give it to you, incase you ever get a 10 gallon, since its made to fit that size tank.

YOu would also want to get a reptile heat mat/under tank heater for them...I dont have one, mine died on me, and Ive been making due with keeping them in a hotter room.

Guest 20292

Okay, then i might be interested!! Do they make water crabs? Do you have any pictures as if you were selling these on ebay, like with everything they come with?

Dean

i dont have a digi cam, but ill scan them...if theyll stay still for a min....

there is about 20 lb of white sand, 2 c oconut halves, the upstaris from the pic, some rainbow rocks, a roll of coconut mat, their bath tub, 2 reptile rock dish, 2 clear little cups, flat lid they eat out of, bottle of tetra terrafauna food, bottle of t rex hermie food, sponges, maybe 10 extra shells, i could send you stress coat if you dont have it or cant get it right away.

ill email you with pix attached...and ill scan the crabbies hopefully tonight

Guest 20292

Do you know what my e-mail is? It is rascalflattsfan@charter.com. Do you think there is any way that you can tell me where the picture is that you have? I will try to find it right know!!!

Dean

i just emailed you, dean.  hope you receive it

btw...i have no idea if there are aquatic hermies...someone else would have to ansere that for you :blink:

303548[/snapback]

There are Saltwater Hermies. Koko has a few in her tank,and I'm sure that js will end up with some too. :D

JS set up a 30 gallon tank basically devoted to marine hermies. ROFL

I would really not recommend shipping the crabs. Theyve been shipped halfway around the world already and have been severely stressed. Another long voyage would not be in their best interest.

Visit http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/index.php and check the adoption thread. There are hermit crab adopters all over and someone from the board may be willing to take them. Also the one with the large pincher is a C. brevimanus which is an exotic hermit crab and requires more advanced care than the purple pinchers (although they need special care as well).

There is such thing as marine hermits and I am a huge fan of them. Most people add them to reef tanks as a cleanup crew; I keep them as pets in my tank and think they are beautiful and fun creatures.

Finally, I just have to say something and Im not intending it to be rude? but its really not fair to give up one pet to make room for another, is it? I like getting new tanks as much as anyone else but I make a commitment to the pets I own and am not going to get rid of them to make room for something else. I just feel strongly about that and hope it doenst come across as insulting because I dont mean it to be. ;) Its just a matter very close to my heart.

Guest 20292

I did not recieve the e-mail and could you tell me your e-mail so that i will know who i am looking for so i do not open some spam or virus!!!

Dean

since Im getting the new fish tank, my mom is making me get rid of my hermies....

is there anyone around here that wants them or has any ideas what I could do with them????

:cry1   :cry1   :cry1

301694[/snapback]

its not my choice to get rid of htem...my mom is making me

Archived