Sign in to follow this  
puggirl

Scales Missing?

just wondering why my fish has some scales missing, she has a large area missing on the top today, and few from the side which seem to be growing back, but i just have no idea why she is missing them, i dont see her rubbing up against anything and there is nothing in the tank for her to injure herself on, and the other fish dont nibble her either. so just wondering if anyone knows why she would be missing these scales??? and all the other fish are fine.

It sounds like some kind of injury. Do you have any other fish in the tank, such as plecos?

this happened to my moor a few months ago. i reached the conclusion one of the fish may have knocked him into something and scratched himself on a rock or something. it heals pretty quickly so i shouldnt worry too much. :)

Is your fish the one in the photo, the reason i ask is both my lionheads seem to be quite prone at knocking scales of on top..

Oops browser problems..

Edited by declan

Oops, can't delete.

Edited by declan

Oops

Edited by declan

I need a delete button, sorry for all posts.

Edited by declan

thanks guys for all your replys, she is in a tank with quite afew other fish, and she would have to be one of the most gentle, saying that she's not very rough and she's gentle, she's a bubble eye, and i was thinking she probably gets bashed about by the others. you dont think she could have any type of bug??? fungle ect, is there anything that would cause this??? very soon in a few weeks time i'll be putting them in a temp storage tubs, and she'll have more room and less chance of them bumping into things. and i only have goldfish bubble eyes ranchus and lion head, i have no other fish types with her.

It doesn't really sound like a parasite to me. My bubble eye tends to be a slow swimmer compared to my other fish. He also likes to rest in the plants and I have noticed the other fish, particularly one of my lionheads, does push him around. I would keep an eye on them and see if you notice any bullying. For the moment, I would just keep the water pristine, and the scales should grow back in a couple of weeks.