Thorough Cleaning....

Incandisco

Hi all :hi

My second-hand Eheim ProII filter arrived today, and I've tested it already - it runs like a dream. However, it's dirty. I've been out and spent a fortune on brand-new media for the filter (all the recommended Eheim stuff). But the tank that the seller used this on was a marine tank, and as such, all the tubes and pipes are full of salt and limescale.

If I make sure there is no media in the unit whatsoever, can I use something like a limescale remover solution (quite a strong acid) to clean out the tubes and unit? I could just loop the filter into a bowl of the stuff, and turn it on for half an hour?

The stuff I am talking about is used to clean showers and sinks.

Any ideas?

that will work on taking the limescale off, and much of the residue is probably salt as well. i dont know exactly how the ehiems are built, but one of the hang on filters i have gotten used, i submerged it completly in a bucket of water containing limeaway(a kitchen sink and shower cleaner) i let it sit over night, then rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. fresh water soak, then more rinsing. then rinsed it again in dechlorinator. the key is, rinsingf. you cant rinse enough. when you think you have rinsed it enough, rinse it some more. run the closed loop with the descaler, then run the same closed loop with fresh clean water. then declorinator.

did i mention you cant rinse enough? its very important. scrub parts with a small brush while rinsing. disassemble it into the smallest components that you can and go at it with the brush. used parts and equipment can save us tons of money, but if you arent sure of the owner and the conditions that it has been in, you get a little extra labor. but, labor is relatively free.

when you have it as clean as you think it can be, you can run water thru it, and then check the water's ph. of course, you would have to have a baseline test before you introduce the filter. then you can see if the acidity is high. or is it litmus paper?... i think its ph.

Well, the ProII is a cannister, and is rated as IP44 - meaning it's splashproof, but will not be ok under-water.

What I'll do then, is fill the unit with warm water, and the sink with warm water + lime-away. Then let it run for an hour.

After that, I'll run it for an hour or so with fresh, clean water (possibly trickled into the bowl to constantly refresh the clean water.. You say to then use de-chlorinator. I use a product called StressCoat to de-chlor my water. Is this what you mean? Run it with a batch of de-chlorinated water?

Sounding good! I'll put the media trays and everything else in as well, but obviously, no actual media whilst I am cleaning.

yes, the dechlor treatment is what im talking about. i havent used stress coat, but they all seem to have the same neautralizing agents.

you sound like you have a good plan. as much fresh clean water as you can put through it the better. all of the chemicals are water souluble, so eventually, it will be completely detoxed.

Archived