Sign in to follow this  
Golden Supanova

Just Been In The Argos

was in the Argos (catalogue store) earlier and thought i'd see if there were any tanks etc.

well there were 3, one 10 gallon 'tropical' starter, one plastic 'hexafun' coldwater tank and a very basic, very small 'coldwater tank', it's basically a square bowl, about 12 litres.

in the description it stated "this aquarium suitable for 2 goldfish without filtration only"

WHAT KIND OF ADVICE IS THAT?!!

ignorance WAS bliss.

Guest VxShady

I know. I get upset like that every time I see one of those goldfish starter kits. Comes with a little bowl, a couple of marbles and a plastic stick. I think bowls should be outlawed all together.

Guest VxShady

I don't think they bothered to research it. People have always thought its okay to keep a goldfish in a bowl without filtration. I talk to my coworkers about my fishy's some times, and they don't believe me when I tell them how big they get, or what they're lifespan is. They're like "No, they stay small when they're in a small living space and they only live like a year." I say "No, they stay small cause they've died young from running out of space." One coworker tells me about how on her balcony, she has these pillars with torches at the tops of them. And in the middle of each pillar is like this fitted square piece of glass that they keep a goldfish in, really small. And she complains cause she has to keep replacing the fish every few months.. because for SOME ODD reason.. it keeps dying. I dont know exactly how the set up works.. but living in a pillar, I imagine its not great.

Guest VxShady

I know! And I try to make her understand what the problem is.. but its something that she saw on one of them design shows like trading spaces or something I dunno.. and its just so "neat" she doesn't listen. Its not neat. Its sick.

That pillar story is sad, i say a glass coffee table the other day on ebat that was basically an aquarium but it didn't look good, i thought it was too shallow. It might have been ok for really small tropicals, it was a good size, just really shallow, don't know how well the air would have got in either.

Could you invite your coworker round to see your goldfish, then they might see how big and beautiful they get, don't know if it would do any good.

I hope there's some legislation soon about selling bowls, its so sad to think of the fish in there :(

Rachel

Guest VxShady

All my babies are still pretty small. I was thinking of trying to find a show in the area, but I don't know how to go about doing that. Drag her along with me or sumthin.

well they have to say some thing that makes it sound interesting and easy to keep so people will buy it and think this is going to be easy so they just put that with out noing what is really needed

I have one of them hex ones bought for ?10 form my mate (he had 2 red commons in there for 2 years grown to 4-5'' from 2''), then i bought a 13G for ?15 without hood(Pretty expensive :ehh )