I Might Get A Betta

JessicaandMarshall

I'm thinking of getting a Beta. I should be going to the lfs on Friday to get my other black moor, he should be there since I ordered him 3 weeks ago!

The betta's always look so pathetic in those little cups! I have not had a betta since I was a little kid. It's so tempting to just buy one.....I think I may on Friday, I feel bad for the poor little guys.

Would a betta do okay in a fish bowl? I have a fancy bowl sitting here with nothing in it. It's about 2.5 gallons so it's a fairly large bowl. It was bought for the fish we won at the carnival a couple of years ago..... yes we though gf went in bowls :thud

I know they like the temp around 80, and I'll get it the betta food, I think hikari makes it....can't remember.

How often should I do water changes, and how much water should I take out at a time. When the gf was in there I did 50% change every day.......

Thanks for your help, and if you think it's a bad idea to put one in the bowl I won't do it, I just thought it would be better than the cup they are sitting in.....

Jessica

hey yes they can do realy wellin that size of a bowl .if u want some filtration make it a realy realy week filter so that it dosnt distrupt the sefuce.

i sugest u put a heater in it yes they love water at 80

and a fake or real plants they love as well( live is the beat i think) if not go for silk ,plastic offten can rip there fins.

and get some freeze dried bloodworms as well as the betta pelets. i say freeze dyed because they dont have as many bacteria in them as frozen ones do.

a great site is bettastares.com good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

:D ,I always preferd goldfish more then bettas

but im getting one today im starting

a new hobbie with fish now im going to be

working on bettas too

i can't wait to get them im going to get one later

this after noon

I actually have a betta sitting here in a one gallon bowl at the moment. I hate bowls for any fish but strangely enough he seems to enjoy it better than the filtered tank I had him in!! Its up to you really, I prefer to provide ideal environments for my pets. 2.5 gallons is a pretty good size and if you want it unfiltered do about 20% water changes every other day or so. (You may be able to find a tiny filter, even an undergravel filter, and cycle that big of a bowl. A UGF would work fine with a betta since theyre not messy at all). Most importantly keep it in a warm place in your house if you dont heat it and put some sort of lid on it!! THey can jump so high.

Thanks, I actually decided not to get one. But when I went to the lfs for salt they had new betta's in and the one I saw 2 weeks before was still there in a cup :( So I bought him and had him in the bowl up until now.

He made a bubble nest and everything! But the water was only like 70-71 degrees. I just moved him, he's acclimating in a bag to a 10 gal. I hope the 10 gal doesn't stress him out. IF it does I'll get a divider.

The reason for the move...the 10 gal has incadesent sp lighting, it heats the water, and I will be able to get it to about 80 within a couple of days......

So wish Death Head luck....my 4 year old named him....what a wierd name eh. She told me they do a death roll? Is that true? I thought only crocs and gators did that LOL.

Oh he was severly PO'd when I lifted him from the bowl and into the bag of bowl water. He is still flaring at me. He's flaring mad LOL.

Jessica

The idea with the incandescent light was great! I have the same on my betta fry tank! Good luck for the little guy that he found a nice home!

Mine flare at me all the time, they dont have any respect! The worst are the fathers watching over their babies. I barely walk by them to give them some food, and he basically comes shooting at me, and stops marely infront of the glass and flares at me! The Rottweiler of the fishies! :rofl

If you ever want to bread your

bettas you need a 5 gal at least

Im puttting my male betta in the 5 gal and my

female in a jar i hope she will like it untill i get her a

5 gal

i hate haveing fish in bowls

it looksso cruewl but i think it's going to be alot

better then being in a small cup or bag

at the pet shop i find that really mean to

my petshop puts them in bags

And at my pet shop there like 2$ because

they want to get rid of them