Sign in to follow this  
Guest vandivd

Wart? On My Fantail

Guest vandivd

I have a 400 gallon pond in my back yard with 2 Plecos (8") 6 assorted goldfish (Shubunkins, Fantails and Comets all 6" - 7") and 3 small (new borns :newfish last year mixed I think) 2" - 3" in length. There is also a resident Bull Frog about 6" long and 10 - 12 large Blonde Snails about 2 1/2" in diameter. The pond is filtered with 2 mechanical/biological combination filters and an Ultraviolet sanitizer. The Ammonia level and Nitrite level both check at 0 ppm (0 mg/L) My test kit does not have a test for Nitrate Level. Ph is about 7.1 (Between 7.0 and 7.2 on my color chart).

My problem is that my Biggest Gold Fantail (Fannie Fantail) has what appears to be Warts on her back. This started out with 2, one on each side and symetrical. The number has grown to about 7 at various places including one on her lip. They are not on any of the other fish though this has been apparent for about 6 - 8 weeks for the increase in the number to take palce. The color of the Warts is the same as her scales (gold) and do not appear as the greenish color I have seen discussed in other descriptions here. Any Ideas as to WHAT it is or how to treat it?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as this is one of my most beautiful fantails and I would love to help her with this problem. :crp

any chance of getting her into a quarantine tank and getting a pic?

do the marks look flat and next to the skin and maybe oval in shape, or do they stand out and shaped like cauliflowers?

Can you feel them and tell me if they feel hard and waxy?

I wonder if they might not be parasites. Have you added any new plants or fish lately?

You are thinking of carp pox, ain't you, koko? ;)

Vandivd, if you can net her and have a closer look would be good. If you can scrap a patch off with you fingernail, it is most likely carp pox and there is not much you can do. Warming weather should see them disappear naturally.

If you can't scrap it off or if they are actual growths under the skin then placing her in a QT for further observation and treatment as Sandy suggested is an excellent idea.

Oh you caught me CaptK....Thats exactly what I was thinking :rofl

I'll take pics of two of my comets tomorrow - both have warts like that on them, and I have been told by koi keepers that those kind of warts show up with the cooler water in the winter, and will automatically disappear when the weather warms up.

I'll would pop in a heater and see if the warts decrease.... :)

Guest vandivd

Thanks to all of you guys for the information you provided. Just to bring you up to date on Fanny Fantail, There are heaters in the pond and the temperature stays above 60? F. This is to keep the Plecos from "Kickin" :angel. I have treated the pont for Protozoan (Spelling) fungus and ich but to no avail. I will net her this weekend and do a closer examination. I have noticed that her scales are starting to look more metalic in appearance. but still none of the other fish seem to be affected.

One my favorite GF, she has this. But only one, right behind her head, and it isn't large, it's small. It's not bumpy looking like cauliflower... uh. she acts normally.

and then on one of her sides, she has a scales that isn't as bright as it used to be and it seems raised up a little.

But other than that, she's the normal fish she's always been.

Any ideas? (two other fish in this tank with her, and neither of them have it...... it has been going on for at least two weeks). the water parameters are all a-okay.

Guest vandivd

Fanny Fantail has had this condition for over 2 months. It dosen't seem to be causing her any great problem, and she is also acting pretty normal.

I have not added any new fish or plants but I did have to remove a dead bird from the pond several months ago. The pond has an 8 watt UV Sterilizer. I have done 2 partial water changes and treated the pond twice with a product from Aquarium Products called "Goldfisf Cure It!" It is for treating Ick, Protozoan Infestation, and Protozoan Fin Damage.

I am feeding all of the fish an Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food. This is produced by Jungle Laboratories with the active ingredients that include Metronidazole 1.0%, Praziquantel 0.5% and levamisole 0.4%. I have no idea what these chemicals are. The Label States: " Aids in control of internal flagellates, trematodes, and cestodes which includes hexamita (hole-in-the-head), spironucleus, intestinal worms, tapeworms and nematodes, e.g.camallanus.

I purchased both of the products at vvvv.