Tank Manufacture's

I'm in the market for a new and larger tank for myself. (30 to 50 Gal.)

As I look at the different ones in my lfs I see different

brand names. Some look like they are well made with clean

edges inside and out while some others look like they are

sealed in a sloppy manner, with sealant smeared along the

edges of the tank both inside and out.

Am I being overly concerned or what?

Does anyone have a preference as to one manufacture

over another and have you had any leaking problems

with a new tank.

I don't know any brands, but I do know what you are talking about. At the lfs I saw some tanks that had the sloppiest sealing, it looked gross.

I had a tank leak once, but it was an old tank. We had to take all the old sealing off and hubby resealed it, it worked like a charm and looked better than the sealing on some of the new tanks I saw.

I don't think a new tank should leak. But I would set it up and leave for 24 hours before adding fish to make sure.

Jessica

Thanks JessicaandMarshall: I was thinking that I was the only one who noticed the difference in tank quality. I'm in the market for a larger tank and was a little concerned about what looked like poor quality. And thanks to fallenlordz, I'm a little jealous.

Hi,

I have a 38 gallon tank by All Glass Manufacturers and it is very nice. Good quality. I have heard that Perfecto makes good tanks, but I don't own one.

I have several Hagen tanks and they have performed very well for many years and are reasonably priced.

Hagen has brought out a new line called LifeGlo or something like that. It is very attractive with a neat hood with two fluorescent hoods.

Good luck on moving up to a larger tank.

I remember when I bought my 38 gallon All Glass tank that it was the only 36" long x 12 1/2" wide tank that had a centre brace. It has made a lot of difference in the tank's strength, I believe.

Another thing about the All Glass tanks is that the plastic rim at the top is sealed so there is no seepage around the rim if you fill the tank up a little too high. The Hagen tanks will weep from around the rim.

I believe that Hagen has solved that problem with their new tanks, since they are rimless ... supposedly the style that has been used in Europe for a while.

Hi all

It seems like there is several manufactures that everyone is happy with. I'm lucky enough to live in an area that has a lfs within a stones throw in any direction. I've seen many of the tanks that you've recommended and haven't made up my mind on the exact tank that I will end up with. But, I have that itchy twitchy feeling that I will be out in the next week or so to purchase the new tank (tight money). Which ever one I choose I want to thank all of you for your help, also I will be building my own stand and light fixture housing to save the almighty dollar. (thinking 55 gallon)

building your own tank stand is wonderfulling rewarding. i have built my own, with out pre made blueprints. small bit of advice. reinforcement. you cant brace it enough. the more support, the happier and safer your new tank will be.

Archived