Recommend Some Fish...

may

I've got a 20 gallon right now with 8 danios (2 zebra, 2 gold zebra, 3 leopard, 1 pearl) and 4 emerald green corys. I'm probably getting a 29 gallon for my birthday, and if I do, I'd love to add something more to the tank eventually. Any suggestions?

My pH is about 8.0, so nothing that needs really soft water. They shouldn't have terribly long fins, or the danios might nip. If it's a really calm fish, it would probably get stressed out by this active bunch.

I'm thinking about one red tailed shark.. but I really need more suggestions! I thought about adding a fancy goldfish of some kind (of course I'd think about that lol), but I'm afraid the danios would bother it.

Thanks guys!

It's really not a good idea to mix goldfish with tropicals so i'd reconsider that idea. The goldfish would be constantly nipped and all the fast moving tropicals would stress him/her out. Not to mention the different feeding requirements. Also remember that a goldfish alone needs 10 gallons all to itself so you really couldn't fit much else in there with it.

As for the shark, they do grow pretty big and a 20 gallon tank really wouldn't be sufficent for one.

It's a 29 gallon tank (a 20 is the one I have NOW)... and red tail sharks only get to be 5", so I was thinking that wouldn't be too bad.

That's why I gave up on the goldfish idea... I figured they would get stressed out.

Keep it coming, guys!

Guest Sapphyra

I love the redtail black sharks at my store. They're a little over an inch and such cuties. They were first kept in a tank with neon rosy barbs and khuli loaches. Now they are in a tank with giant danios and clown loaches. They've done wonderfully in both settings.

Have you looked at the different varieties of loaches? Do you like barbs? I'm finding a fancy for the black rubies and green tiger barbs. The albino barbs are pretty cute too.

Hmm.. We also have some redtail black sharks with our flying foxes. We put danios and barbs in with them at times as well.

Have you thought about adding any other cory cats?

Guest Supernova

You might like some of the long tailed variety of danios, or marbe another pearl danio. I think 4 bottom feeders is enough for that size of a tank, you might get a few small fights for food becasue danios are rater quick eaters and eat almost all of the food before it reaches the bottom.

• 1 month later...

Just so no one thinks I still need recommendations...

I did post a while back about getting some new cherry barbs... they've been in quarantine for 2 weeks now, I think I'll give them one more just because they were from a vvvv that's usually pretty bad.

motorx1, most cichlids are so territorial, or get so big, that I don't think you should go recommending them to just anyone! Or at least recommend some specific species that would do well in a particular tank. There are some that are ok in a 28 gallon tank like mine, but not when the tank is almost fully stocked already.

Archived