Testing Kits

This may be a question that you've all heard many times,

but I'm a little confused. I keep reading about testing for nitrates,

alkalinity and PH. Is there a test kit for everything or do I need

test kits for each procedure??? I'm kinda new to the world of gold's

so I'm still in the learning process. I'm not a rich man nor do I have

funds to waste on products that I don't need, so I'm asking for

some direction in my purchase of the kit (s). Which one (s) and what

brand do you all recommend as well as the going cost.

Thanks to all for your imput.

Guest gldfshkpr

During the "break-in" or first major cycle of a new tank, the nitrite test is used almost daily for the first 4-8 weeks. Ammonia is going to show up first, then nitrites. Later, when the tank has established itself, you'll be testing for nitrates to determine your water change frequency. The other tests; pH, GH, and KH are tests you need that will determine your water's qualities and how they each effect the overall conditions of your water. Ph in particular can fluctuate under certain conditions and cause divesting results if it "crashes". In any event, it's good practice to use all the tests at some point and "know" your water. I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master test kit. It sells for about $25 in CA. The only test it doesn't come with is nitrates. I highly recommend it. The instructions are clear and well written. Hope this helps!

I use the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals freshwater master test kit also, and an Aquarium Pharm. nitrate test kit.

Ammonia and nitrite are incredibly important, pH is fairly important, and if your pH ever suddenly goes up/down, you'll want a KH test to know why. Those are all in that master test kit.

Thanks GLDFSHKPR and MAY for you great info, I will be out the first thing in the morning shopping for the test kits that you have recommended. I have had my gold's for about a month without any problems so far, but I do want to be prepared for anything. Do you have any comments (good or bad) about keeping gold's in a half of a 55 gal. barrel with a liner. The pond would be about 25 gals. with a whisper 30 filter and 3 or 4 live plants. It Would have 6-3" gold's occupying the space. Nothing fancy though......

Guest gldfshkpr

I would double the filter rating, say something around 60 GPH and put only 2 golds in there. Is this something you're putting out on a balcony or something? Just make sure the barrel isn't in too much direct sunlight or you'll end up with green water.

Guest rigpiguk

gldfshkpr

I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master test kit. It sells for about $25 in CA.

Sick as a dog :ill Mine cost me ?22 plus another ?6.50 for the nitrAte test kit.

I'm moving :lol:

Thanks everyone for your imput, I have purchased an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals

master kit and I was surprised that both my pond (inside) and my aquarium are within the acceptable levels. I'm in Carson California (a little south of los angeles) and I paid $29.95 for the kit. I'm so much more comfortable knowing that my gold's are not suffering due to my mistakes. Thanks again ya all......

Archived