Sign in to follow this  
cupoftea

Apparantly...

to refill your tank, like I've doing for the last few months, can poison your fish (toxins in the plastic can leach out). I had no idea, so just thought I'd pass that on. The information did come from the info sheet with the Python, so they obviously have a vested interest, but even so, ditch the hoses!

bw

cupoftea

also.. isnt most hose water cholinated? mine is anywho...

i had heard that... a teacher told us one day while we were all driking out of a hose in the agriculture area.... (hey, the sheep drink it, why cant we? lol)

but VERY kewl someone brought it up here!

I was attaching the hose to my tap, so the water's not chlorinated, just tap water, but the problem is the hose I was using, fine for plants, not so for fish. Yikes!

bw

cupoftea

Last summer when my fish were outside I refilled their tank all the time with the water hose. Of course, I used dechlorinator, but I never had any problems with it. What do people do who have ponds? How do they add water to their pond?

I'm not disputing this information, just curious.

ive never done that nor will i attempt to do that. although pond... would be otherwise.

I use a white hose that you get to hook up an RV to the water. I was told that type is different and does not contaminate the water with chemicals. I have been using it for two years with no problems.

That's interesting, I'm curious though.... maybe Python is saying that so you buy their longer tubing attachments???

It's worth looking into though to see if it's true or not. I think Andrea uses a garden hose to fill hers up?

Yes, indeed I do, and I never had a problem. But of course, there are different kinds of hoses around, with different components. Its definetely worth while checking them out...

yep, because I read this on the Python leaflet, I was a bit suspicious, but they do make a point of saying that their tubing is non toxic. Presumably all hoses/tubing bought from lfs are ok, but some common garden hoses are a different thing?

bw

cupoftea

Yeah, kind of makes sense. The python has to be fish safe, while the garden hoses from the garden center are only meant for water plants and such, and for that purpose alone they don't have to be food safe.

I have been thinking about replacing my hose as well - it is a few years old already, and I am not sure what "lingers" in there that I can't see since the hose isn't clear.

I am not sure what "lingers" in there that I can't see since the hose isn't clear.

I never thought of that. I bet the inside of the garden hose must be full of mold. If we could actually see it I'm sure it would be disgusting.

i painstakingly use a 2 gallon fishbowl to fill my tanks with.

i have 1 30 gallon tank, 1 10 gallon tank and a 6 gallon medi tank.

imagine the time it takes me!

Is there a good way to clean hoses? my gravel cleaner has a clear hose and it looks really yucky inside! I don't know why, its only ever been used for the fish tank. I'm not too worried about the affect on the fish as i only use it to empty the tank, not fill it, so whatevers in there won't get into the tank, but it looks revolting :ill

A bottle brush, pipe cleaners?

I use a chopstick with a bit of loo roll round it to clean my pipes and hoses.

Supanova, this may be a far out suggestion, but have you ever considered buying a bucket? :blink:

A bottle brush, pipe cleaners?

I use a chopstick with a bit of loo roll round it to clean my pipes and hoses.

Supanova, this may be a far out suggestion, but have you ever considered buying a bucket? :blink:

:lol:

i keep going to, but everytime i do i see something else i need and get that instead.

Supernova, get on ebay and get yourself a python before you get a hernia! I got a brand new one for ?16.

bw

cupoftea

hi Supanova,

check the 'cleaning/water treatments' section and look out for an Interpet No Spill and Fill. Animal-house.co.uk sell them, but they are ?30 in their catalogue.

good luck

cupoftea

Speaking of pythons and the plastics they're made of - the lsf sells tubes (for either siphoning or connecting external filters say) much more expensive. But I could find the same transparent/translucent looking tubes in hardware stores for way cheaper. Same goes with the small tubing for connecting to aerators.

As I don't know about the actual content of the plastics involved, it'll be nice to know if it's just the same thing...I don't like spending extra unnecessarily especially when the h/w store is just the down road. I'd feel like an idiot if the lsf buys it from there and hikes the price up just because ;)

I don't have a pond, so i wouldn't use a hose. But i agree, i think the python company wants you to buy THEIR long attachements.